Thursday, January 18, 2024

January, The Quiet Month

Hello Friends!  My first post of 2024, and we're over halfway through the first month of the year.  I mentioned at the end of last year that I want to be more active in blogging this year, and I still mean to do that.  I spent some time this afternoon putting together a wintry tablescape for January, which I'll be sharing within the week.  Apparently, I only did two tablescapes for the whole of 2023.   
   
How do you feel about the month of January?  I usually enjoy it.  The serenity of this time of year is welcome here after the hustle and bustle of the holidays.  I really do enjoy the quiet days and getting into a fresh routine for the coming year.  As much as I enjoy our Christmas decorations, it feels good to get the house back in order.  It's a restful feeling to have things back in their proper place, don't you think?  
   
   

I enjoy putting out my snowmen after Christmas.  I may have to be satisfied with these little guys (and gals) this year, since we don't seem to be getting any of the real thing here.  Just rain and lots of it.  Ugh.  
   

We had a pretty snow in January of 2022, so we're still hoping for some of the white stuff this winter.
   

Another thing I enjoy about January is watching the birds at our bird feeders.  Today I counted four cardinal couples at our feeding station -- eight cardinals on the feeder and no other birds there at all.  It was a pretty sight!
   
Of course, I love to prepare (and eat) comfort food in winter.  I've already tried out a new soup recipe this year, and I'm planning to cook some chili in the crockpot this weekend.
   

Two of our favorite dishes are creamy potato soup,
   

and homemade chicken pie.  
     
   
Our houses don't have to be dull and dreary after the Christmas decorations are put away.  I like to put a wintry centerpiece on the dining room table.
   

We've had some very cold days and nights this week, and we're staying cozy in the den with the heater we bought last winter.
   
   
Hal bought himself a new turntable for his birthday in December, and we've been listening to our old LP's in the evenings.  It's a lot of fun hearing these songs that I haven't heard in years.  
 

I hope you're having a pleasant month wherever you are.  I'd love to hear what you've been doing in this quiet and serene month of January.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and have a great weekend!!  
   
   
    
 

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that I enjoy order restored after the Christmas decor is put away. :) January is not a quiet month for us as we have 3 birthdays in our immediate family and a couple more thrown in with our extended family. I like your 'winter decor'. I broke down and put out my Valentine stash. I don't have much but it adds a nice pop of color around. Those birds are a treat to see. Happy middle of January to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely post, Denise, full of the warmth of home, so welcome in January. I like getting back to the simpler decorations and a quieter month, too. Evenings at home are spent reading, stitching, or blogging. Bird watching is also fun these days. Our snow was beautiful while it lasted, but it's mostly gone right now and I can hear rain falling outside this evening. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer