Friday, July 6, 2018

The Richmond Reid Plantation

Happy Friday to you!  Do you have any plans for the weekend?  We'll be celebrating my dad's birthday at my parents' house on Sunday.  His birthday was July 3rd, but it's easier for everyone to get together on the weekend.
 
On Monday, Hal and I went to the town of Denton, North Carolina, to attend the 48th Annual Southeast Old Threshers' Reunion.   
 
 
 
 This was a LARGE exhibit of antique tractors and engines.  In addition, there are several old buildings on the grounds of the park, such as a white, carpenter gothic style church; a plantation farmhouse with outbuildings; an old general store, barber shop, and post office combined; a radio museum; a gas station, etc.  There are tractor pulls, horse pulls, sheep dog herding (would have liked to see that) and food and drink for purchase.  It was a really hot day, and we drank a lot of fresh-squeezed lemonade.
 
    
We went through the old farmhouse first, and I was quite taken with this homey house.  This is the Richmond Reid Plantation, built sometime before the Civil War (I wasn't able to find the actual year(s) the house was built).  It was purchased in the 1980's by the owners of Denton Farmpark and moved here to the park from its original location, about seven miles away. 
 
 
  
Don't you love this room?  I sure do!  I love the robin's egg blue, plank walls, the light coming through the windows, the old brick fireplace with the white mantel, and the potted plant with an American flag on the hearth.  I love the bright golden sunflowers against the blue wall, the iron skillets hanging above the fireplace, and the corner cupboard.  
 
 
  
The bull's-eye molding around the windows and doors was unexpected, but very pretty.  The jars of garden vegetables looked so bright and cheerful.
 
  
 
It looks like this was the room where the family ate their meals and perhaps gathered around the fire in winter.  
  
  
 
  
  
 
Does anyone know what this implement hanging on the wall is for?  Is this a primitive style of whisk for cooking?   
 
 
 
On the wall opposite the fireplace was this fancy pump organ.
 
 
 
One of my favorite things in this room was these curtains.  They were obviously cross-stitched by hand, and I had never seen any like this.  I absolutely love them!  
 
 
  
 
It was somewhat dark in the house and bright, bright outside, so it was difficult to get balanced lighting for these pictures.
   
 
I like the patriotic bunting on the window sill and the colorful tractors lined up outside. 
  
   
  
 
This small room was adjacent to the room with the farm table.  It contained this chest and a spinning wheel. 
 
 
  
 
The pictures above were taken by me; I got a new camera a few months ago, and I really like it.  It's very small, lightweight, and I'm pleased with the quality of the pictures so far.  I'm still learning how to use this one, and I have a lot to learn.  The Canon Rebel just got too heavy and burdensome for me to carry around.   
 
 
 
   
These pictures were all taken by Hal; his are always more artistic than mine.  :)   
 
 
  
  
   
  
We assumed this was a bushel basket in the corner.  I love this picture; the light from the windows has such a dreamy quality.   
  
 
  
  
   
   
a second spinning wheel  
  
 
   
This second pump organ was in the front room of the house.  I felt like this room must have been the parlor, as it seemed a little more formal.  I can't believe that I failed to take any pictures of this room, and except for the organ, Hal didn't take any either.  Slapping my forehead.  
  
  
  
  
  Hal took the picture above, and it could almost be a watercolor painting, don't you think?  The building you see behind the wagon is the cookhouse, 
  
  
 
and here's the inside of the cookhouse.  As hot as it was the day we were there, I can't imagine having to cook over that hot fireplace, while wearing a long dress with petticoats, I might add.  That would have done it for me, right there.  😏  I was telling my mom about this, and she said they were a lot tougher than us back in those days.  They would have to be.  
  
  
  
Love this corner cupboard,  
  
  
  
and this candlestick.  
  
  
  
The corn dolly on the right is so pretty!  The left one actually looks very old -- much more primitive.  Outside, there was a booth where a lady was selling hand made corn dollies like this, and I could kick myself for not buying one.  
  
Most of the old plantations that we've toured (not that many actually) were on a grander scale than this.  But I really liked this farmhouse; its charm lay in its down-to-earth, homey feel.  If you're interested, you can read more about the farm here
 
Thank you for your visit and have a wonderful weekend!!
 
Blessings,  
   

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour of the plantation house. My guess for the tool hanging on the wall is a rug beater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your guess on the tool, Christine; you're exactly right! :D I had no idea what it was, but I Googled it and found pictures just like this one. Thanks for your visit and have a great weekend!

      Denise

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a grand weekend and happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is right up my alley Denise...thank you so much for sharing this tour...I adore being able to see the history up close and personal....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a beautiful tour,, I love to visit places that have such rich history! I just joined to follow your blog visiting from Bj's. its so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love going thru these beautiful olden houses...and always wish the walls could talk..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight this historic home is! I adore the pale green walls. Thank you so much for your kind words dear Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do love that kitchen...very charming. I could do something like that with skillets since I have them in all sizes. I enjoyed seeing all the kitchen tools, including the rug beater. They come in all configurations and many gals used to have collections of them when country was king.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise. I just read your comment on my post about Boone. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I haven't responded to any of the other comments yet; I just couldn't make myself. I did think of you and Duncan because you are right, we did start our pups together and it was fun and reassuring to have a friend going thought the same puppy trials. We have always had a dog and each one lived its life out--long lives. The first dog, Baron, a Short Hair, had to be put down because he had cancer, but he had a long life. Next was Ginger, another short hair. She was a dog pound rescue, such a sweet girl and she just got really old--and I remember seeing my husband carry her to the car to take her to the vet's. Our daughter's golden retriever Ginger had her front leg amputated because she had cancer and my daughter borrowed money from the bank to pay to for the surgery. Heather was living in Denver at the time, so I was taking care of her dog. I was on the phone with her when Ginger walked across the room sat at my feet and collapsed and was gone. Just that fast. Now that was awful because I had to tell my daughter what had just happened. Next was Max and he died in his bed here at home. He was another short hair rescue and such a good boy. He was 14, so he lived long and happy, but Boone. He was only 4 and Gerald expected him to be the last dog. I am not sure that we will get another dog; he is looking, but it is hard. It is just hard. Give Duncan a good hug for me. I'll be back later to read this really good post. It's after midnight--I need to get bed. Again, thanks so much for being so supportive. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, I think the implement hanging on the wall is what they beat their rugs with to get the dust out. They would take them outside and beat them.
    Great photos of your tour. You learn so much from viewing the past about history and appreciating their lives and comparing them with many luxuries we take for granted.
    I can't image spinning my own cloth or cooking over a fire day after day.
    Glad you enjoyed your outing.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer