Thursday, February 1, 2018

My Great-Aunt Mattie's Chocolate Pie

 
I recently shared a recipe here for Minny's Chocolate Pie, from the movie, "The Help."  I've made that pie three times, and we really like it.  It's easy and it's very tasty.  Today I'm sharing a family recipe that we enjoy every year at my parent's house on Thanksgiving.  It's my great-aunt Mattie's chocolate pie, and our family just loves it.
     
  
This picture was taken the day after Thanksgiving 2017, so obviously the pie had already been sliced and partially consumed.  😋  My mom whips fresh cream for the top of the pie before serving.
  
  
Here's a picture sans whipped cream.  How I wish I had a piece of this right now!  
My great-aunt Mattie was my paternal grandmother's sister.  They both grew up in a little bitty town in Georgia, along with one more sister and three brothers.  My Grandma and Mattie were both good cooks, and I assume they learned to cook from their mother, my great-grandmother.  
 
Mattie and her husband, Tom, used to come here to North Carolina every year for Thanksgiving once her sons were married and on their own.  After my grandmother and grandfather died, Mattie and Tom continued to come here at Thanksgiving for many years, and we always looked forward to seeing them.  Mattie made this pie when she was here, and it was such a hit with everyone, she shared the recipe with my mom.  Sadly, Mattie died from Alzheimer's in 2011.  We still miss her, but her recipe lives on at our house.
 
Chocolate Pie 
 
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. plain, all-purpose flour
  • 3 T. cocoa
  • 2 c. milk (my mom substitutes half 'n half for milk)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) margarine or butter
  • 1 pie crust (homemade or commercial crust)

Mix first three ingredients well.  Add milk and margarine and heat over medium heat on stovetop.  Slowly add egg yolks when mixture is hot, but not boiling.  You can temper the egg yolks first with warm milk mixture, if you prefer.  Cook over medium heat until thick.  Pour chocolate custard filling into baked pie shell and refrigerate.  **If you wish to make meringue topping, beat your three egg whites until thick and stiff peaks have formed.  Add 1/4 c., plus 2 T. sugar and beat well.  Spread over chocolate filling in crust and brown meringue in 350° oven for about ten minutes.  We just use fresh whipped cream instead of meringue, but either one makes for a delicious pie.
  

 
  
I hope you'll try this recipe and let me know how you like it.  Thank you so much for your visit and have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. My but that looks tasty! Looks like it would melt in your mouth! Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a lot like John’s mother’s recipe, which we do love and is almost as easy as a cooked pudding mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delicious. And looks good too. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh this looks tasty and I am sure it is. Thank you for the recipe.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate pie is a favorite Denise. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Homemade is always best. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pie sounds delicious and I would prefer the whipped cream to meringue, also. How nice to have your great aunt's pie recipe to remember her and all her visits. I wish I had several of my aunt's recipes but all the sibblings are gone now.
    Thanks so much for your blog visit. It is special to hear from you.
    Time seems to be rushing by. I don't know where it goes. I am so ready for spring. Yesterday was spring like and was so nice. We have had rain all day today but it was needed so I can't complain. I will enjoy seeing the sunshine again soon though. Have a great week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Denise, I would love to make this pie. I also would prefer it with whipped cream, instead of meringue. I love that you treasure family recipes so much. I hope one day, some of my family will treasure some of mine. Thank you for sharing this, and memories of your Aunt.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer