Saturday, October 22, 2016

Checking In

Hi everyone.  I hope you've had a good week.  I'm personally wondering if there's another country I could move to, because I'm sick, sick of this election coverage.  So, I've been hiding out here -- 



in my beloved Mitford books,


and also here.  This is a fun and pretty cookbook; I recommend it if you don't already have it.

I'm sorry I've been MIA here lately.  I've had so many things that needed my attention -- things that couldn't be put off.  In addition, my husband has been using some of his vacation days, and when he's home, I don't do much blogging.  We got our new gutters installed on the house this week, so now we have new gutters and new windows.  After the new year, we hope to get the trim work and shutters painted.  We spent yesterday running errands, including a repair to my car and inspections for both our cars.  Today, I spent most of the day doing fall yard work.  "I'm about give out," as Dooley Barlowe would say.  ;)

Well, I was finally pulled kicking and screaming into the 21st century when I got one of these yesterday--


Yep folks, I was still using a flip phone up until a few days ago, when mine finally died.  My husband tried to convince me to get an iPhone last Christmas, but I declined.  As long as the phone I had was working, I figured we would save our money.  Also, I dreaded having to learn the ins and outs of a new phone, which is kind of silly because I usually pick these things up fairly quickly.  Nothing stands still in this day and age, does it?  We just really have to be adaptable to change because about the time we've gotten familiar with one gadget, it becomes obsolete and it's time to learn a new gadget.  I'm hoping this keeps my brain cells active.  ;)

In other news, we have a new neighbor who wants us to cut down the poplar trees between our house and his because they're dropping too many leaves in his yard.  Seriously???!!!  In the first place, part of the trees are on his property, and in the second place, we could probably add a room on to our house for what it would cost us to have all those trees taken down.  Mr. Forest Manor made it pretty clear to him that we won't be paying to take those trees down anytime soon.  The neighbor knew they were there when he bought the house, just like they were there when we bought our house 20 years ago.


I'm almost finished with our fall porch.  I've planted pansies and ornamental kale, and yes, the squirrel has already gotten into them once.  I'm considering a really small, electric fence to go around my flower pots.  😀 


I enjoyed this Autumn Fern all summer, and my husband planted it in the ground for me today.


My mom and I made another wreath (we made one last Christmas, too).  I bought the grapevine wreath, the ribbon, and the other supplies at Michaels.


My mom made the beautiful bows,


and I glued everything onto the wreath.  I think the white mums make a nice contrast to all the reds, oranges, and yellows in the rest of the wreath.



I already had the pheasant feathers in my "stash."


I bought the berries, and my mom supplied the wheat stalks.


Of course, we had to have some gourds for fall,


and the cute little bird completes the look.


I can't believe Halloween is almost here, can you?  The leaves are turning here, and as you can see from this picture, they're falling from the trees, too.  Our son will be getting them up for us tomorrow.

Well that's about it for now.  I hope you're all having a lovely fall and I look forward to seeing what you've been up to.  :)  Thanks so much for spending some time here and have a glorious weekend.

Hugs,

Denise

6 comments:

  1. It's good we can turn off the news and escape into our good books. Good answer to your neighbor. We are heavy into leaf season here and filling our yard waste bins with the fallen leaves. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fall decor and cute autumn wreath. Your mom does make great bows! That fern is gorgeous. Your idea for a wee electric fence sounds great to me!

    Guess my take on the election is a little nuanced from yours. I am sick of a corrupt media that does not report the news and so am very glad for other news sources including the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mitford series too, I have Come Rain or Come Shine on my TBR pile. Your wreath is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of the iPhone Denise, you'll love it when you learn all the ropes. Your neighbour sounds like one of ours - you plant a big maple and there's going to be lots of leaves in autumn. This woman even had the nerve to cut the whole back of my magnolia off straight up in line with our wrought iron fence. Enough of that rant, it will be nice when your election is over...don't think the grass is greener on our side. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll echo Judith's comment about the IPhone - I was a late adopter, but now I love it. I don't use my phone as constantly as the students I teach, but I do enjoy texting my family.
    It will be so very nice when your election is over. It's everywhere!
    Mitford is a wonderful place to escape to - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cut down trees because they drop leaves? Here populars are not long lived trees, so tell him to be patient and tree removal (my daughter works in the industry) is very pricey as you say. You will love your iPhone--I have the same one. My husband was one to resist getting an iPhone, but we bit the bullet and he loves it it. He is quite the text--er, with photos. The phone has a great camera, too. You will wonder why you waited so long. Enjoy Halloween. You are well on your way with the lovely wreath.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer