Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Gertrude Jekyll Roses

These are our David Austin roses, "Gertrude Jekyll."  I share pictures of them about every other year, mostly for posterity I think.  😉  They are really photogenic roses, and Mr. Forest Manor likes to take pictures of them.  Plus, everything's just been extra pretty this spring, hasn't it?  I can't recall when I've seen so many beautiful blooms everywhere, and I don't think our grass has ever looked this good. 
   
   
        
   
   
When these are fully open, they have four rosettes in the center, surrounded by layer upon layer of petals,
    
      
like this one above.
             
   
The fragrance is heavenly, and I love the rich, vibrant pink color.
   
   
       
Can you spot the flying bug on the left of this rosebud?  Every year, they get on the bush; they don't eat the flowers (thank goodness) but they make a mess of the foliage.  
              
     
      
   
                   
   
   
   
These make nice cut flowers, too.  Their stems tend to be curvy (and thorny) so they can be a little hard to arrange.
   
   
   
   
These roses never fail to make me happy.  I'd never had a rosebush until we planted this one, and I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to keep it alive.  It's been very low maintenance, which suits me well.  😉  I'm thankful for this beautiful spring everyone seems to be having, and for the old-fashioned scent of roses.  With everything that's different and scary this year, I'm so glad some things don't change.   
   
I hope you're well, and I so appreciate your visits.  Have a wonderful Thursday!   
   
Blessings,      
  

4 comments:

  1. 🌷I'm glad that it is a beautiful spring there! It is not a beautiful spring here...yet. Soon, I hope. Your roses are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roses already! My Gertrude Jekyll is just leafing out! I planted her last summer, and was rewarded with some lovely blooms. I'm looking forward to more. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful for sure. I love how they look in that bouquet, too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely exquisite!!! It leaves me speechless! Have a wonderful weekend! Please visit me at https://abitoftheblarney.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer