Monday, April 27, 2020

Quick and Easy Chocolate Pudding

Raise your hand if you like chocolate pudding.  😁  Maybe I should just ask who doesn't like chocolate pudding.  We love it at our house.  Oh, and just to clarify for folks across the pond, I'm referring to pudding as it is used in North America -- a custard served for dessert.  A few years ago, I came across a recipe for microwave pudding, and it caught my interest.  I ended up combining parts of two recipes I found online, and I've used this one with good results.    
          
   
        
Unlike Jello Instant Pudding, which I've made for many years, this recipe is cooked.  However, it's cooked in the microwave, and it doesn't have eggs, so you don't have to worry about possibly curdling the eggs as you might with cooking custard/pudding on top of the stove.  
  
       
What you'll need for this recipe is:
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 T. cornstarch
  • 1/4 teas. salt
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1 1/2 teas. vanilla extract
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.  Whisk the milk in a little at a time so the mixture doesn't have any dry lumps.
  2. Place in the microwave and cook (uncovered) on high for two minutes.
  3. Stir, then microwave another three to four minutes, stirring after each minute, until shiny and thick.
  4. Add vanilla.
  5. Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding so it doesn't form a skin.  Chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.
  6. Optional -- top with whipped cream (or Cool Whip Lite, as we do) and if you want to get fancy, add a bit of shaved chocolate.  
  7. Enjoy!
   
This is how it looked after the first two minutes in the microwave.
  
  
and after three more minutes in the microwave, stirring after every minute.  You can tell it has thickened by looking at the edges of the pudding.
   
   
After it finished cooking, I added the vanilla and gave it a good stir with a whisk.  You can see it looks thick and shiny now.  Yum.
 
 
I thought we could use a little "Keep Calm and Carry On" during these uncertain days.  😐 

 
 
   
I've always used whole milk for this recipe because I was afraid low-fat milk wouldn't thicken as well.  We always drink one percent at our house.  You could certainly try low-fat or skim milk here, and it might work fine.  Also, do be sure to add the milk gradually and stir with a whisk.  It makes the texture more even, and it thickens much better if you do this.   
   
I've found this to be an easy week-night dessert.  If you leave off the whipped topping, it's not terribly fattening like a cake or pie would be, and it satisfies a craving for chocolate.  Let me know if you try this recipe, and I hope you enjoy it!  Thanks so much for visiting me, and have a good week.   
   
Take care and stay well!    
  
 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks really good. I might just have all the ingredients, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like pudding, especially warm. Chocolate is always a winner. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...nothing more comforting and delicious than a warm bowl of pudding. The recipe sounds good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE pudding, Denise, and tapioca is my all time favorite, but chocolate is always a winner and a bowl of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise!
    Thanks for sharing that recipe. I must try it during these endless days of quarantine! I hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should all keep calm - and carry on as best we can! "KBO"! Pudding looks yummy, Denise.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer