Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Christmas Reading

In mid-November here in the northern hemisphere, the shadows lengthen and the darkness falls early.  Last night we were doing errands, and there was a beautiful sliver of a new moon -- an eyelash moon.  When I took Duncan out at bedtime, the stars were twinkling and were a beautiful sight to behold.  I love this time of year.  When we're out, I like to see lamplight in people's windows; it projects warmth and coziness to the outside world.  If you're lucky, you might catch glimpses of bookshelves filled with books, pictures on the wall, or family gathered around the table for dinner.  Perhaps the curtains are drawn and you'll only see the warm glow behind them.  Nevertheless, it speaks of home and hearth.  
   
I know some of you have already begun decorating for Christmas.  We have not, but we'll probably need to start soon.  As part of the season's rituals, I like to start my Christmas reading around the end of November or first of December.  I usually read the same books every year, but they always seem to make me happy.  I am thinking of finding some new things to add to the list though.
   


   Winter Solstice is such a good holiday read.  I sure wish Rosamunde Pilcher was still writing.  The book above that is a little hard to make out; it's Shepherds Abiding, by Jan Karon.  
   
  
   
A Christmas Carol has been a favorite for most of my life, and the other book in this group is Skipping Christmas, by John Grisham.  I understand they made a movie based on this book, and supposedly it wasn't very funny.  I find the book to be laugh-out-loud funny, and it has a good message, too.  There are also Christmas mysteries out there too, if that's something you're interested in. 
   
      

I like these two, which I believe I've mentioned here before.  
   


This one is considered a cozy mystery; I've read most of the "Aunt Dimity" books, and they're quite enjoyable.  If a Christmas in the Cotswolds appeals to you, you might enjoy this book.  


When I was a teenager, I read Two From Galilee, and I think I will re-read this.    
   
What are your favorite books/stories to read during the Christmas season?  I'd love to hear from you!  Thanks so much for your visit today, and I hope you have a great week!   
   
  

12 comments:

  1. I, too, enjoy seeing lamplight inside a home. It always looks so cozy. I enjoyed seeing what's on your Christmas reading list. I immediately noticed Winter Solstice on your table. I read that one several times and loved it. I'm not familiar with the Aunt Dimity series. They sound intriguing to me as I love the Cotswolds. I have a large collection of Christmas books. Some are old children's books that I love especially for the illustrations. One that I read years ago and plan to read again this year is A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flag. If ever there were a year for curling up with a good book, this is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about a year to curl up with a good book Kim. "Winter Solstice" is really a cozy book, isn't it? We have some beautiful children's Christmas books that were given to our son when he was very young; I really treasure them. Thank you for the recommendation of the Fannie Flag book, Kim, I've seen that mentioned before. Have you read her book, "Standing In The Rainbow?" I read that in 2019, and LOVED it! My mom and mother-in-law loved it, as well. I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't read it. Thanks so much for your visit, Kim, and Happy Thanksgiving to you. :)

      Delete
  2. I suppose The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe could qualify as a good Christmas read. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving too, Ellen! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I do this very thing Denise..there are a few particular books I read over and over again for the Christmas season....love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing we have in common, Betsy. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I loved Winter Solstice and Shepards Abiding too!! I am currently reading Jennifer Chiaverini's The Christmas Boutique, and it is wonderful. I have a few more Christmas books on my to read list for the holiday season this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the recommendation, Carole! I'm ready for another book to add to the Christmas collection. :) I so appreciate your visit, Carole -- have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the Aunt Dimity books, too, and "Two From Galilee" has been a favorite for a long time. I need to re-read it this year, thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve read Winter Solstice, Denise, and love Rosamunde Pilcher books. Thank you for recommending some of your favorites, and some new ones. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your reading list. Will give it a try! Hoping you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm re-reading Winter Solstice right now. And Shepherd's Abiding is in my reading stack, too. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer