Monday, April 18, 2016

Wisteria in Old Salem

It's been quite a while since I took you through our little community of Old Salem.  


I came across these pictures that my husband took almost five years ago to the day, just a few months after I started this blog in 2011.  I really thought I had posted them earlier, but apparently not.  Our son was still in college then, and we had been to Greensboro to see him perform in the University Concert Band.  Since it was a beautiful spring day, we decided to stop at Old Salem on our way home and take some pictures.


One reason I wanted to share these pictures this week is because of this beautiful wisteria blooming in Old Salem that day.  Have you noticed how spectacular the wisteria has been this year?  It really has been a gorgeous spring for flowers and blooming trees.


These photos were taken on April 17, 2011, and as I type this, it is almost April 15th.  Around here, the wisteria is still blooming (though past its peak) along with the dogwoods and a few Japanese Kwansan Cherry trees.


There's a dogwood tree blooming next to the picket fence in above picture,


and here as well.  I love the backs of these houses with their sprawling porches.


This is the back of the Salem Tavern,


with its nice, wide porch for dining alfresco.  Notice the green door on the left, leading to the cellar.  I really have an affinity for these old houses and buildings, with so much history in every brick and timber.


This gorgeous wisteria is growing across the top of a pergola behind the Salem Tavern, with more tables for outdoor dining.  We were at our son's house in a nearby town on Wednesday evening, and they have a big clump of wisteria and a clump of honeysuckle growing out behind their little carport.  It smelled so fragrant!  I love honeysuckle, but that wisteria scent is just amazing.


On the left is the front of the Salem Tavern,


and across the street is the Augustus T. Zevely Inn.  This is a restored 1844 Moravian Home, now a bed and breakfast.  I love the dappled sunlight in this picture.


This is a view of the wisteria-covered pergola (background) from the other side of the tavern.


The cords you see are for lighting after dark.



I'm joining Judith at Lavender Cottage for Mosaic Monday.


Do you have any wisteria blooming near you?  I'd love to plant some here; I know it's really invasive, but it's a lot better than kudzu (the vine that ate the south).  Someone actually thought it was a good idea to bring kudzu over here from Japan and plant it??!!


I love the delicate beauty of these blossoms, though I know the vines are anything but delicate -- sort of like southern women.  ;)


Thanks so much for visiting House at Forest Manor.  I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.  :)

Denise

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely old town to visit. Love the wisteria! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a stunning wisteria Denise, I've heard they need a very sturdy structure to grow on and this one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! Glad that you found them again. I always hear about wisteria and the descriptions of its aroma, but have not seen it in person that I recall. I don't think it grows in my corner. Kudzu...a pox on the stuff!

    (So glad that you popped by today. You were among the lost when my blog list dumped everyone a month or more ago. I've snagged you again! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty town!
    We had a gorgeous wisteria at our old house and I miss it. Wisteria takes a long time to establish itself, so you have to wait for the blossoms!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer