Monday, June 30, 2014

Charleston Part Four, The Gardens at the Heyward-Washington House


I'm in love with American colonial gardens.  


 Like the houses they belong to, they can tell us so much about what life was like in early America.


 I find myself captivated by their charm...


...and symmetry.



That wonderful combination of the utilitarian --
                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                

and the beautiful.


For years, I've wanted to try something similar in our own backyard, but something tells me it would look totally out of place with a 1970's ranch-style house.  ;)


Walled gardens were popular in early America, as well as in England.  I think they must have been ideal for kitchen gardens, as they would have allowed the sun in, but kept out damaging winds and foraging animals.



Who can resist the knot-shaped herb gardens,


 and the combination of brick walkways and gravel paths?  Our guide told us the little brick building, above and below, was called "the necessary" -- a polite way of saying "the privy."  :)



This window is on the 1740's kitchen building, located behind the main house.






Yes, it would be a treat to have a garden like this on our property.


Sigh...









These gardens are lovely, it's true; but what a lot of pruning, shaping, and weeding.  I'd have to hire a gardener for sure.  :)  Thanks for touring the gardens with me; it's always nice to have someone to share the sights with.  You can tour the inside of the Heyward-Washington House in Charleston, South Carolina, Here and Here.

I always appreciate your visits and I'm glad you stopped by House at Forest Manor.  Have a wonderful week!!

I'm linking to the following parties:
 Amaze Me Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm Show and Share Party
Home and Garden Thursday
Home Sweet Home

Thanks to all these ladies for hosting!


Denise 

*All photos were taken by myself and Mr. Forest Manor.
 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful gardens Denise! I picked the first red cherry tomato from my Forktress Planter yesterday, woo-hoo! Lovin' that old bath tub too! Happy 4th of July Week:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    This is one beautiful home and the gardens are just stunning! I would love to have you join me at my Show and Share Party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Suzannes at Home

    Hi Denise, Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every one of them!
    Your photos are beautiful! I love taking virtual garden walks.
    Have you ever heard of P. Allen Smith? I think you would LOVE his garden and 'garden to table' shows. Be sure and stop by his website and check out your local listings. You'll find so much inspiration :0)
    Have a wonderful Fourth of July with your family and friends,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed that garden tour. So nicely manicured and I think the walls make things feel cozy. The walkways are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful gardens! Reminds me of Colonial Williamsburg gardens.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer