Sunday, November 25, 2018

Celebrating Thanksgiving

Hi everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving day.  I just love Thanksgiving -- everyone in our family does.  This was our first Thanksgiving without my father, and there was definitely an empty spot there for us.  In fact, we have two family members gone from us this holiday season, my father and Hal's paternal grandmother.  His granny died back in January of this year, which is so far back that it almost feels like last year.  She died just about six weeks short of her 101st birthday.  I will be forever grateful that I had these two very special people in my life for so many years. 
  
  
We've been married for 31 years, and since the very beginning, we've traveled to either my parents' home or my in-laws' home to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.  Our moms always cooked the turkey, dressing, gravy, and desserts, while the rest of us brought side dishes, and maybe a dessert, as well.  
 
My father-in-law carving the turkey, 2015
  
When we lived in Greensboro, it was a little further drive to our parents' homes; it's not quite as far these days.  But you know, I always thought the ride there was part of the fun.  Not exactly "over the river and through the woods," but pretty darn close.  
  
  
Some years, like this year for instance, there was still an amazing amount of fall color left on some of the trees.  That always makes the drive more interesting and enjoyable.  Also, I like to see other homes with extra cars in the driveway and maybe a group of people through the window, and I like to think that they're enjoying a day of good food, fellowship with friends and family, and a counting of blessings, just like we do at our home.  So many things to be thankful for this year.
  
  
Knowing that good smells and delicious food await us at our family's house adds to the pleasure of the drive.  It's like the old Heinz ketchup commercial -- "Anticipation."
  
  
  
I know some folks don't like the traditional American Thanksgiving meal of turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, etc.  Some prefer barbecue, ham, chicken, or pasta.  I absolutely love turkey and all the fixin's on Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving was always such a big deal at our home, and after I got married, I was glad to discover that it was the same way with my husband's family. 
  
  This year, we gathered at my sister's house for the Thanksgiving feast.  As always, my mom made the turkey and dressing, always my favorite.  She also made a wonderful coconut cream pie and a chocolate chess pie, both served with freshly whipped cream.  😋  My sister made deviled eggs, lima beans, and cranberry gelatin salad -- delish!  I made sweet potatoes and corn pudding.
  
    
I love my sister's red and white checked curtains.  :)
 
    
Corn pudding on the left, cranberry salad; turkey; dressing; regular gravy and giblet gravy; sliced, canned cranberry sauce --  
   
  
Mashed potatoes in the left corner, deviled eggs, lima beans, and rolls.  
   
  
My sweet potatoes and corn pudding --
  
   
Mom's coconut cream pie and chocolate chess pie.  These were two seriously good pies!
  
  
Is there a favorite dish/recipe that you enjoy at Thanksgiving every year?  Or maybe you discovered a new favorite this year?  Later in the week, I'll be sharing some recipes with you.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by House at Forest Manor; I enjoyed sharing my Thanksgiving memories with you.  Now it's on to Christmas preparations!  I hope you have a terrific weekend.
 
Blessings,
  

3 comments:

  1. My grands mistook the corn casserole I made for mac and cheese. Mac and Cheese for Thanksgiving? Hmmm...maybe next time, but I am a very traditional girl. Your table is beautiful, the food so fine! The people are the most important and the giving thanks. I know it was not easy to celebrate without two very special family members. We carry on... with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks beautiful and delicious Denise. I so miss going home for Thanksgiving or having my parents come to join us...such precious, precious memories. Treasure these times! I am so happy you enjoyed being with family and celebrating our favorite holiday too! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a feast with your family for Thanksgiving.
    We had similar things and ate too much but enjoyed it all.
    My daughter and her family were here from Wednesday -Sunday. We had a great visit. They will be in Germany for Christmas but I am happy they can visit our SIL's family. We will travel to Texas for Christmas to be with our son and family.
    Wishing you a great week.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer