Friday, January 1, 2016

Winter Guest Room

I hope this post finds you all well and ready for another year.  It's been a bit of a roller coaster around here lately, and I thank you again for your kind thoughts and prayers for my family.  I didn't really get to show you much of our house at Christmas this year, but I do want to share with you the "winter/Christmas look" of our guest room.


These pictures are a little dark, but hopefully, you can get the general idea.  This room gets a wonderful morning sunlight, but we haven't seen the sunshine here in a long time.  The floor lamp in the corner won't stay in here.  It belongs in the living room, but it has to move every year to make room for the Christmas tree.


As you can see, I added some more tartan plaid to our décor.  About this time last year, I was still converting our son's old bedroom into a guest room.  I wasn't sure what I was going to use for the bed linens, and then I saw a few bloggers using tartan plaid comforters in bedrooms, and I was hooked.  I was really happy to find this comforter and matching shams at Kohl's online for a very reasonable price.  It's down alternative, so I'm sure that made it more affordable.  It's nicely made, warm, and pretty, so I'm satisfied with it.  :)  It also has the red and blue colors that I wanted for this room.


The Charleston print over the bed was switched out for this Old Salem snow scene, painted by a local artist.  I love the colors in this picture.


I also got a new lampshade for this fox lamp; I think it gives the lamp an updated look and goes well with the winter feel of the room.


This is the original shade above; I think the new one looks more substantial.


You may remember the dressing table from summer pictures.  I decided to set up a few of our Dickens Village pieces here for the Christmas holiday.  My mother-in-law has a chair I can use with this dressing table; I just keep forgetting to go over and get it.  Note to self:  The dressing table would look much better with a matching chair.  ;)







The lighted village added some nice Christmas cheer to the room.


We switched out our incandescent, electric Christmas candles for LED, battery-operated window candles, which we purchased for 50 percent off at Plow and Hearth this year.  I had a different basket in here for magazines, but I returned it to its place on the hearth.



This seagrass basket was being used in another room; I like it here as a magazine basket.  The Poinsettia came from Walmart this year, and it's one of the healthiest ones I've ever gotten.  I always bought mine at a garden shop in the past and paid much more for them.


As you can see, I still haven't painted the Windsor chair -- hopefully soon.  The Scottie pillow came from the new Mast General store in downtown Winston-Salem.


Some favorite Christmas books on the bed --



I also purchased another Scottish tartan blanket, or "rug" from Gretna Green to use at the foot of this bed.  I had a hard time choosing the colors that I thought would look well with the comforter, and I'm very happy with my choice.  This blanket is the MacKenzie tartan plaid -- I love it.


You can actually see it better in this picture.


Love this little leather-bound copy of "A Christmas Carol" that I found at Barnes and Noble.  It's published by Fall River Press.  The coffee mug is part of a set of Christmas dishes that belonged to my husband's family, and I've had the tea towel for many years.  The stuffed bear dressed in tartan skirt and tam was given to me years ago, as well.

It was a treat to have our son spend the night here Christmas Eve; I hope he doesn't mind the changes to his old room too much.  ;)  Thank you for stopping by -- I love for you to visit.  I wish you all happiness and good health in 2016.

Blessings,

Denise

4 comments:

  1. I like the tartan! The room looks warm and cozy. And yes, won't we enjoy a sunny day if one ever comes! I have the same Independence hall plate hanging in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cozy guest room for sure...your son only spent Christmas Eve? It's so welcoming that he should still be there! Have a pleasant New Year's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inviting guest room! Love the tartan plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do very much like the tartan plaid, but I think I am in love with the picture above the bed. The room looks very cozy and comfortable. Any guest, son included, would feel very welcomed there and would have a sound night's sleep. Happy New Year, Denise.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer