Thursday, November 13, 2014

Mad For Plaid -- Decorating with Tartan Plaids

Happy Thursday everyone!  I hope you're having a good week.  

I don't know about you, but I just love tartan plaids; I think they're so cheerful and cozy when it's cold outside.


 I was really happy to see that tartan plaids seem to be popular again this year in home decor (and clothing too).  I saw a lot of plaids last fall and winter, and I was hoping to see them in magazines and stores again this year.  I think tartan plaids are a classic -- one of those things that doesn't really go out of style.

I had a birthday back in September and received some money from my family, so I was able to purchase something I've been wanting for a few years now --


a Scottish tartan plaid blanket.  



 I call these throw blankets; on the website they're referred to as rugs.  They're used for picnics and also to keep in the car, for emergencies I suppose.  I finally broke down and ordered one because I haven't been able to find one around here.  I actually saw one at HomeGoods a month or so ago, but I couldn't make up my mind about it, and when I went back it was gone.  Now I'm glad I didn't get it, because it was the Black Watch Plaid tartan, and it would have been too dark for this chair.


This is the Buchanan tartan, and the colors are perfect for our den.  I'm very happy with the quality of this blanket, but one of the best things about it was the price.  For a 100 percent wool blanket at 69 by 62 inches, it was just $37 -- less than the one at HomeGoods.  The drawback was that shipping was $35.  It was coming from Scotland, and I rationalized to myself (I'm awfully good at that, you know) that I couldn't fly to Scotland and back for $35, right?  ;)  I still decided to get this because I've seen many of these blankets on various websites for over a hundred dollars.

I purchased mine Here.  This is not a sponsored add for Gretna Green; I'm just sharing in case you're looking for one of these for yourself.  They also carry lambswool tartan throws, but they're more expensive.  Gretna Green sells tartan clothing, as well.

Girls Black Watch Tartan Kilt


Royal Stewart Tartan Lambswool Scarf

Oh, I'd love this lambswool scarf to wear with my coat!




So how about you -- are you made for plaid?  :)  Do you plan to decorate with any plaids for Christmas this year?  I love to hear from you, and thanks so much for visiting me.  Have a great day!

I'm linking this post to:
Home Sweet Home party, hosted by Sherry
Metamorphosis Monday, hosted by Susan


Denise

17 comments:

  1. Denise, that is so pretty. I think these colors show off much more than the black watch would have. That is a good price but boy, shipping is pricey any more. I did a Christmas tree with big taffeta plaid bows one year. It was so pretty. I love plaid too..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tartan plaid throw (it's funny that the Scots call them "rugs") is such a pretty addition to your room, Denise. I love the fact that it came from Scotland and that you used your birthday money. You'll love it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tartan goes perfect in the chair, making the room look warm and comfortable. No.I don't use plaids to decorate; perhaps I should because I do like the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors in your throw. I learned about the Scots calling them "rugs". Thanks for that as it is very interesting. Enjoy your tartan throw. Looks very pretty and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tartan. Your Buchanan throw is beautiful. I was visiting Scotland in 2011 and I bought a scarf and hat in the Wallace tartan red. I have been looking for a long red tartan skirt to wear during the holiday season, but I haven't found one. Thank you so much for your lovely comment.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Yes to all of it. I too am mad for the plaid. That blanket is perfection. I couldn't get enough with my family room touches of plaid so I had to order a plaid dress for Christmas from Boden. Now I'm off to stalk the rest of your blog for updates on the puppy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tartan, too, Denise. I have a tartan runner for my table at Christmas, and I own a kilt, but then my paternal grandmother was Scottish. I see you hang horse brasses on your wall -- I thought I was the only one in USA to do that. Looks like you polish yours more often than I do. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely mad for plaid, and if I ever went to Scotland, I'd be tempted to by everything in site! I actually have a similar blanket that I got as a gift...it's mostly navy with some rust and green. I agree with you - there's nothing cozier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise! Your 'rug' is gorgeous! I think it's funny they call them rugs. :) It looks beautiful on your chair and I'm glad you got the right one, even if the shipping was so expensive. My daughter and son in law lived in England for a couple of years and went to Scotland twice and they said it was so beautiful and green! :)
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your tartan throw Denise! I found a couple plaid ones at HomeGoods recently too. Your blue 'rug' is beautiful on your chair! Hope it keeps you warm and cozy, it's cold here this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love plaids also and am going to use lots of it in my Christmas decorating this year. I just bought a throw (rug) at Homegoods a couple of weeks ago. It's pure wool, made in England in the Royal Stewart plaid. I love red so this is perfect for me. I paid more for the throw than you did, but I still bested you because I didn't have to pay shipping. I know we will both enjoy these for years to come. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get what you mean about the Black Watch being too dark. I love the color, but it would just get washed out around here with the dark colors in the furniture! The blanket you got is BEAUTIFUL! I love the color, the apparent softness, and the fact that it actually came directly from Scotland!! Crazy shipping charges, but I guess it's par for the course.

    I don't think I'll be using any tartan this year, but it's on deck for next year's decorating around the house. It's so cheerful and classic all at once...I just love it! I did a tablescape at a recent fundraiser using tartan, and it was a big hit with the ladies. I was surprised how many of the ladies (all golfers) had no idea the game of golf originated in Scotland!!!

    Congratulations on your wonderful purchase! May you enjoy it for as long as Rod Stewart has loved blondes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, it goes without saying that I'm mad for plaid. Love your new throw. It looks warm and cozy and perfect with your pretty blue leather wingback chair. Great way to spend birthday money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you love tartan!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I do love the look of plaid. Have you seen some of the pretty tablescapes for Thanksgiving and Christmas using the wool blankets as table covering? I think a beautiful blanket from Scotland under $100 is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vee sent me your way knowing my obsession with plaid. Last year I visited Scotland and they do call these blankets 'rugs.' My Dad bought one for my mom in the family Tartan.

    I agree with you about the cheerfulness of plaid at this time of year! I love it!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE plaid. I always have, for as long as I can remember. I love that blanket. It's beautiful. I hope you are well. We are great here. If I don't pop back in before, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer