Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I'm Having a Moment...

I could start this post by saying I've been having a lot of senior moments lately.  But I decided that wasn't entirely true because I've been having senior moments all my life.

For example...I seem to be misplacing things a lot these days.  When you decorate your space for Christmas, do you have trouble finding your normal accessories when it's time to put them back out, after the Christmas decor has been packed away?  My mother-in-law and I were talking about that a few weeks ago -- about how good it is to get the Christmas decs put away and how spacious our homes feel now.  My MIL said she often can't find her regular "stuff" she put away when she put her Christmas things out.  I was thinking that I shouldn't have a problem with that because I organized my Christmas decs last year, and I did things in an orderly manner this Christmas.  Hahahaha.  Remember this picture from last February?


Specifically this piece of pottery?


I can't find it.  I just purchased it last year with some of my Christmas money, and now I can't find it.  I've searched all over this house -- some places I've searched three and four times.  The crazy thing is that the other two pieces of pottery for the mantel, as well as the cow bell and the gourd were all packed and stored together in the same closet, same shelf.  You'd think my bowl would be there with the rest, but noooo.  

My mom said she is constantly looking for things at her house, most often keys or papers.  I think it's a universal condition that we all have too much paper clutter in our lives, don't you think?  Junk mail, bills, school assignments, magazines, newspapers, etc., etc.  Well, enough about the bowl; hopefully it will turn up (probably in the refrigerator the way things are going).

This is a good one; do you ever call someone on the phone, and while you're listening to the phone ring and waiting for the person to answer, you forget who you're calling?

source

I do that a lot.  Pretty sad, huh?  Then while I'm off in la-la land somewhere, the person answers the phone and I experience a moment of panic.  I think, "Who is this on the other end of the phone and why did I call them?"  "Or did they call me?"  Please tell me you've done this at some time or other.

One of the funniest things I've done in recent years is the morning I went through the McDonald's drive-thru to get a coffee, and I forgot to pick up my coffee.  That's right folks; I paid for it, drove away, got all the way home and realized I had no coffee.  Headslap!!!

See, here's how it happened.  Our MacDonald's has two windows; you pay at the first one and pick up your order at the second one.  I remember there was an elderly couple who was walking across the drive-thru lane to go inside the McDonald's, and I was being really careful to watch for them and make sure they were safely out of the way before I started driving again.  By the time they were past, I forgot all about my coffee; I waved at the cute little senior citizens, and drove merrily away.

source

I remember glancing in my side-view mirror and seeing a McDonald's employee leaning out the window looking rather surprised as I drove away.  I'm thinking if I'd already had my caffeine fix that morning, I wouldn't have forgotten to pick up my coffee -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :)

So, what's the funniest, flakiest thing you've done lately?  Please share -- I'd love to know I'm not the only one who does these things.

Thanks for stopping by the hacienda; I really love your visits and your comments!  Have a great day!!

Denise

25 comments:

  1. Can't think of anything in particular at the moment, but I've certainly done my share of flaky things. That's very funny about driving away without your coffee. Did you go back later and ask for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorrie, I did go back and ask for my coffee. I think the employees had been laughing about it, but I have no pride when it comes to my morning coffee. :-D I just don't function well without it. I usually only drink one cup, but I really need that cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done the coffee thing. Things like the bowl I have also done, it's probably sitting on a shelf. It is so scary about the phone, calling someone and forgetting who and why I called. To much going on in our lives and heads. I hate it when I put a dozen eggs on to boil to make deviled eggs and then sit down to look at a magazine and forget about them til the water is gone and eggs exploded on the stove and wall - that was totally horrible.
    Glad that I am not the only one who has these senior moments, although my daughter has them too and she is young. Way too much stress these days.
    Have good Friday
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Betsy; there is way too much stress these days and too much to keep up with. I feel so bad for you about the boiled eggs episode -- that would be the pits. I'm sure I would have been very vocal about it if I had done that. I get really mad at myself when I make a big mess like that. I hope you have a good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm chuckling with you Denise! Been there,done that:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Lynn? Thank goodness it's not just me. :-D We should all combine our zany episodes and write a book. :)

      Delete
  6. I can so identify! I was at drive thru at McD's the other day, placed my order...they said drive around to the 1st window...I drove right past it to the 2nd window. They looked at me like I was crazy! Thankfully no one was behind me so I could back up, pay, and move forward to get my parfait.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the McDonald's employees could tell plenty of funny stories after a busy day at work, don't you? :) Thanks for sharing, Cindy!

      Delete
  7. Not being able to find things I put away in order to decorate for Christmas is an annual event for me...I thought it was normal. Been suffering from this since I married 45 years ago. Wishing you well and hoping you find your pretty bowl. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cathy, it's really frustrating, isn't it? I'm glad to know others besides me have this same problem. :) I hope I find it soon -- my mantel looks funny with a gap in the middle.

      Delete
  8. HAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, Denise. I promise that I am not laughing at you but right there with you. I am as flaky as they come too. I think it's because we are so busy THINKING that we forget what we are supposed to be thinking. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.) I have pulled off without food too, but I have never gotten all the way home. And I'm pretty sure that this caffeine addict wouldn't forget her coffee.)

    As for Christmas things, I have found a solution that works for me. I did it last year, and it really worked for this year. First, I cleaned out a closet in my house big enough for the Christmas "put outs" that take the place of other pieces in the house. I no longer store those things in the attic but in that closet. Then, when I decorate, I put what I moved out of the way in there, I also made a little Christmas notebook which lists every little thing and where it's found. It works.

    I did walk off without my Hobby Lobby package the other day. I did all my other shopping and was about to head home when I realized it. By the time I got there, they couldn't find my bag. Fortunately, the young girl who checked me out was still there and vouched for the fact that I had left it. Also, I had my receipt. So... I had to do all my shopping all over again.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbie, what a day! You are certainly more patient than I because I think after shopping at other stores and returning to Hobby Lobby, I would have been too tired to shop there a second time. However, if you waited to go back, the things you bought the first time might not have still been available. Sigh.

      Thanks for the storage tips for Christmas; I will definitely have to try that next year. :)

      Delete
  9. Raising my hand as one of the Forgetful Group..:) I bought a chair knowing I would be changing the feet. It finally arrived and I went to get the box of feet- in it were only 3~! I searched High Low and Sideways for the 4th foot.. Its NOT here..

    I too think we have so much going on in life and our brain is always ahead of us in thought.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is hectic isn't it Sonny? You have a better excuse than most of us because you've just moved into a new house, and it's so hard to keep up with everything when you're still trying to unpack and settle in. Are you unpacked yet? I really hope you find your other foot. That didn't sound right -- your fourth chair foot is what I meant. :-D Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. So I grabbed the half a loaf of bread, threw it in the trash can, eealizing that was was not the right spot for the bread, pulled it out and put it in the refrigerator where I don't store bread, realizing that, I put it in the pantry next to the fridege-- all with my husband standing there watching.I do hope that you find your pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I can just picture my husband's expression if I did that. Too funny!!! :-D I almost hate to say, but I'm starting to get the feeling this is a gender-based thing in some ways. I know my dad just shakes his head at my mom, and ditto for my husband and son with me. Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. I have done all of the things you described, Denise, and more, for now I am constantly laying my eye glasses down and forgetting where I put them. Enjoyed this pst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Sue. I completely forgot about the eyeglasses thing -- I do that too! :) I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  12. Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! The McDonald's coffee incident is simply TOO delicious!!! I often pay for things and then walk away inside stores, but never have I done it in a drive-thru! That's an all new one for me!!!

    I have come up with a great solution for storing my "regular stuff" during the holiday season. We have 4 bathrooms for 2 people in this house. We use only one of the showers/bathtubs. So...I simply stash it all in the downstairs bathtub and close the curtain. Guests visiting are none the wiser when they go in there, and I'm able to keep everything together. I've seen a couple of my nosier friends come out of the bathroom with a weird look on their face which means they very likely peeled back the curtain. That's OK. I'll bet they stole that idea and ran with it!!! :-) :-) :-)

    I've started to have to color code things around here. I have multiple pairs of eyeglasses, scissors, and things like long-handled lighters (for lighting candles), staplers, etc. I color code them to the room where they belong since I'm likely to walk out of a room with them in my hand and then forget where they came from.

    The one thing that really bugs me that I do now: I change purses and then forget I've changed and walk out with an empty purse!!! I need to get a basket in which to dump out everything when I get home so that I force myself to put it all back into another handbag when I decide which one I'm going to use.

    Gettin' old ain't for sissies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alycia, you are so funny!! Your comments always make my day! :-D So you think the nosy ones peeked behind the shower curtain, huh? I bet you're right that they stole your idea; it sounds like a good one to me. Unfortunately, we don't have an extra bathroom that I could use for that. But I'll think of something better for next year -- I've just got to. I like your idea of color coding things. That is something I really should try. Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate the tips. You are so right -- getting old is NOT for sissies, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise, I don't think I've done the drive end thing because I am always hungry or have had no coffee but I've paid for things and walked off.

    You will find your dish just when you aren't looking for it. I think at the moment everything I have been looking for has been located but I usually have two or three things I am not sure where they are. I like the idea of putting all the items you move in the same place if possible. I've never tried that but I do try to box up Christmas decorations and when I unpack the box immediately put it in the closet in the same place before moving any other boxes. That way at least I know everything will fit in the closet. That has helped same time for me. It would be nice if I had everything in one closet but I don't.
    Fun post. We can all identify with you because we all have the same tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning, Denise! It's nice to know that we're all in this together!! I once was shopping at Wal Mart, years ago, loaded my mini van, put the cart back, had my keys in my hand, drove home and then realized that I left my purse in the cart!!!!! Luckily, some wonderful soul turned it into the customer service. Whew!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness; misery loves company so this makes me feel a lot better about my memory (or lack of). Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh,oh....so I guess I'm having a 'few' senior moments lately too. I can't find almost three things at present, no matter how much I search...wow, I wonder why I forget so much too, lol! My mom forgets just as much too! Scary. Boy, I enjopyed your great story too. Tks for your sweet and visit to Cayetana, she's so happy as I read to her, lol!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forget most things these days. I'm calling it pregnancy brain. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-) When I decorate for Christmas, I put the stuff I am taking down and put it into the Christmas totes after the decorations are out. After misplacing stuff for several years, I find that this method cuts down on my searching time.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer