Friday, June 14, 2019

Our Master Bedroom

Happy Friday everyone!  As promised yesterday, I'm back today with a post on our master bedroom.  I've been working on this room for the last few weeks, and I'm ready to have it finished.  I don't have before pictures for you because I just forgot to take them.  At any rate, I'll share again when I've added the finishing touches.
       
  
  If you happened to see my post yesterday, this picture was at the very end of the post.  This is my very small reading spot in our bedroom.  I don't often sit here to read, but it is a very comfy chair.  My mother-in-law gave us this chair for our bedroom when we first moved here 23 years ago.  Hard to believe we've been in this house that long.  Before I show you the room, I have to emphasize that our rooms are not so large, nor laid out the same, as those in the newer McMansions.  Our house was built in 1971; it's a brick ranch-style with about 1,800 square feet of finished space, and a full basement.    
  
While our house is a good size for us (just the two of us now) we've got to find some better storage solutions.  We both have a lot of hobbies, and our closets have filled up quickly.  That's one thing I've been working on in our bedroom -- finding a place to put some of this stuff.  I won't really be showing Hal's side of the room yet because at the moment, all his camera equipment is sitting on the floor next to his nightstand.  I think I may have found a solution for that, so I hope it works out.  I want our bedroom to be restful and pretty, not filled with clutter.
     
   
We have a double closet and a single closet in this room, which is way better than what we had in our little 1924 house in Greensboro.  Even so, I'm having to do some creative arranging in order to get everything in here.  My goal for this room was to make "a place for everything, and everything in its place."  Also, I wanted it to look prettier, so I've mostly used what we already had and just made a few changes/additions.  For starters, I'm hanging new curtains.  I'm ashamed to say that I've had these curtains for several a few years; they were brand new still in the package.  When we got our replacement windows a few years ago, I knew it was time to get these curtains up.  I purchased them from my favorite curtain store, Country Curtains, which has since had to close its doors because it couldn't compete with online businesses, such as Amazon and Wayfair.  Almost every curtain in this house came from Country Curtains, and I was crushed to see them close.  
       
    
  I was having a hard time with lighting in here this morning, so some of these pictures are a bit grainy.  However, I tried to capture some of the details in these lace sheers.
          
   
  I've always loved lace curtains, and I'm especially happy with these.  I only put up one panel at this window for now so the details show more.  I'm going to be putting up the other panel, as well as a valance -- hopefully this weekend.
    
  
I had to purchase a few new things for the room during this project -- a new bedspread, pillow shams, bed skirt, and another item which I'll show in a moment.  This is the new bedspread and shams.  They're white chenille; I ordered them from Bed, Bath & Beyond online, and I'm very pleased with them.  I thought they were a good bargain at $79 for the queen spread and $25 a piece for the shams.  I found the bed skirt online at Amazon.  The cotton throw at the foot of the bed came from HomeGoods about a year ago.  The toile throw pillow came from Country Curtains at the same time I bought the curtains, and the two white throw pillows came from J.C. Penney several years ago.  I remember using a gift card to purchase those.  
  
     
  
Y'all know how I love lamps in the house.  This is one of my favorites, even though it's rather small.  I got this at our local World Bazaar, which also closed its doors many years ago.  I got this lamp shortly after we moved here, so I've probably had it close to 20 years.  It's ceramic, so I try to be careful with it.
  
  
This picture hangs over my nightstand; I found it at a local thrift shop many years ago, and I just love it.  I also have two pictures to hang over the bed -- we just have to get them in their frames.
  
       
    
 This lamp is quite old; it belonged to my maternal grandparents (and possibly great-grandparents before that).  My mom gave it to my sister, and my sister gave it to me.  I think it goes well with the decor in here.
        
   
This toile-patterned china teacup is a favorite of mine.  I found it in the mountain town of Hendersonville, N.C., on one of our Miata trips.
  
  
The Fostoria vase with silk roses and the green box were both wedding gifts.  The "Old Country Roses" vase was a Christmas gift one year from Hal's late grandmother.
  
  
 My mom gave me the candlewick glass dish a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it!  I bought the pillar candle at HomeGoods last week.    
 
   
A television in the bedroom wasn't my idea, but I don't mind it.  I just wish I knew how to hide the fat cords.  
  
  
I already had all these pieces on the chest of drawers; I just borrowed some of them from other rooms in the house.  
   
      
This small cedar chest was the other item we purchased to help with some of our storage.  We got it from Overstock.com; Hal assembled it in about an hour and a half, and we've been pleased with it so far.  It's quite a bit smaller than old-fashioned cedar chests, but it does hold a decent amount of stuff.  We actually found a vintage chest at our local antique mall, but it was a little too big for this room, as it tended to crowd that spot.  It fits perfectly in the guest bedroom, and will provide more, much-needed storage for us.
  
  
My sister cross-stitched the wedding poem for us; it has hung in our bedroom in every place we've lived.  The wedding plate was an anniversary gift from my parents.
         
        
  
This little blue pillow has an unusual shape, but I love the French country scene on the fabric.  This was another find at the local antique mall.
  
What's left to do in the room:
  • Get the rest of the curtains ironed and hung at the windows
  • Clean the plantation blind on Hal's window
  • Get his camera equipment moved to a better spot
  • Put the bed skirt on the bed
  • Hang pictures over bed
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed to finish this over the weekend.  I'm really enjoying our bedroom so much more now -- it's a much more pleasant spot to spend time in.  I know our furniture looks so dark, but I don't mind, since I tend to like mostly traditional style.  My mother-in-law told me recently not to get rid of our dark furniture because supposedly it's coming back in style.  I certainly have no plans to get rid of our furniture, but I am seriously thinking about painting a few of our pieces with chalk paint, just to add a little contrast in some of our rooms.  I think I would really like that look in our home.  I'll let you know how that goes.  
I hope you're all having a terrific summer.  😎  Thank you so much for your visit and have a great weekend!!
Hugs, 
 

4 comments:

  1. Your room looks very much like Colonial Williamsburg...high praise! Oh I did not know that Country Curtains had to close its doors. I purchased from them when I could afford to as they were pricey, but one gets what one pays for and they were quality. Enjoy finishing up your projects...should be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was going to say that my sister had great success hiding the cords for her tv with some sort of tracking used specifically for that purpose. She purchased hers at Lowe’s I think, but it can be purchased at many places. It blends right into the wall and goes away...can be painted the color of the wall, but comes in neutral colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room refresh looks good! I love your lace curtains. I was trying to see if your room is similar to ours, but the fact that yours is a ranch (and ours two story) means it's probably not. Our bedroom is quite large (on small house standards, that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house always looks so beautiful, and elegant, Denise. I know what you mean about 'stuff' - clutter as Head Office calls it (all mine, of course...). I guess you could run the TV cables through some conduit, stick that to the wall and paint it the same colour as the wall - quick-ish fix short of running it through the wall itself - which may not be too hard unless you have solid brick/stone walls. Messy! Sorry - I don't get to visit as often as I'd like, either. You take care x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer