Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Bethabara Gardens, Part 2

Welcome to House at Forest Manor.  Today I'm sharing the rest of the pictures from the gardens at Bethabara Park in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  You can read about the history of Bethabara in my previous post Here.

I had the best of intentions to publish Part Two of this post a few weeks ago, shortly after Part One.  As usual, things got busy and I forgot.  Better late than never, I suppose.  I'm posting a lot this week because I suddenly have some free time in which to work on my blog, and I never know when that will change.  I haven't forgotten about visiting you, though, and I'll be doing that throughout the week.  I hope you're all having a good summer; my thoughts go out to BJ at Sweet Nothings who lost her beloved husband this week.  



On the left is a big bed of yarrow with plants mostly in shades of white, purple,


and yellow.  I had some yarrow in my herb garden years ago; it's a nice showy plant.


I thought this was a curious little wooden structure.  At first I thought it was a bench -- glad I didn't try to sit on it.  😃  These look like nasturtium leaves underneath.  Any ideas as to what this wooden structure is for?


Here's that beautiful lavender again.  If you look beyond this wooden fence to the background on the left, you can see some of the community gardens that are also growing here.  I noticed some folks with gardening tools entering the gate at the other end with a key.  I'd be curious as to how many different community plots there are.


I thought these garden tools sticking up above the fence made a cute picture.  I like the little building with the rustic roof.


Do you know what these vertically-staked vines are, by any chance?  Hal and I thought they were runner beans, but when we got home, I realized that I've never heard of runner beans used in a medical capacity before.  Turns out, that nice little map came in handy.  These are actually hops vines -- who knew?  I would assume these were grown for making beer, which could be (and probably was) used for medicinal purposes.


A closer view...


The other plant which I'd never seen before was this citrus plant.  Can you make out those wicked-looking thorns?!  Yikes.


You can see the citrus plant in the right foreground of this picture.  It's growing as a hedge, making a screen on one side of the gazebo.  Glad I didn't lean back against it when I sat down on the bench in there.  😲 😜


I couldn't find the arbor of vines in the background here listed on the map.  Hal and I think they're muscadine vines.  His grandpa used to have some when Hal was growing up.


The picture above is a butterfly garden -- so pretty.


I love this idea.


I recognized many of these plants and flowers because I had them in my garden at our first house.  I imagine you can identify them too; there are a lot of accomplished gardeners in our blog circle.  I love the purple coneflowers and the pink phlox.


The yellow flowers in the center look like milkweed.


The bright red and yellow flowers are monkey flowers.



This is the old well, now covered for safety.



Above are the original foundations for the new Bethabara Tavern.  This looks too small to be a tavern, in my humble opinion.  It must have extended up rather than out.  From what I've seen and read, the early Moravians were meticulous record keepers and a very industrious people.  My parents and sister all go to a Moravian church, and my parent's church is the second oldest in Forsyth County.  My mom said the church library is full of recorded history about the early Moravians and their community and churches.


I do love the symmetry of early American gardens.






If you're still reading, bless you for sticking with me.  :D  I didn't want to have to make a Part 3 on this post, so I put the rest of the pictures in this one.  You can see another example of an early American Colonial garden at the Heyward-Washington House in Charleston, South Carolina.  We toured those gardens in 2014.

Thanks so much for your visit and all your kind comments.  I have enjoyed seeing what the rest of you are doing this summer -- enjoy your week!

Denise

1 comment:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer