Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Of Thistles and Scots

Happy Tuesday!  I hope your week got off to a good start.  Yesterday, I posted a picture mosaic of some wildflowers that Hal and I saw Sunday on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.  One weed flower that I was so pleased to get pictures of was this --


 Field Thistle


I made the mistake of trying to cut one of these with my husband's pocket knife.  A word to the wise -- don't do that.  They have thorns -- big, sharp ones.  I grabbed it, thinking I would just cut the stem, and "Ouch!"  If you want to cut one for any reason, you'll need to wear a heavy pair of gloves to hold the stem.

I never knew thistle flowers could be found in North Carolina, or even in the U.S., for that matter.  For some reason, I've just always associated them with Scotland.  According to this website, legend has it that "a sleeping party of Scots warriors were saved from ambush by an invading Norse army when one of the attackers trod on a thistle with his bare feet.  His cries raised the alarm, the roused Scots duly defeated the invaders, and the thistle was adopted as the symbol of Scotland." 

source

  As many times as we've driven around in the mountains of North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, I've just never noticed them before.  This year I did, though; maybe I've had Scotland on the brain because I've been reading this...


It's now a series on the "Starz" network, and the clips I've seen look pretty good.  


Unfortunately, our cable package doesn't include the Starz network, and we don't want to pay an extra $16 a month to get it.  I'll have to figure out another way to watch this.

 source

I will tell you that I've run across the name Duncan a few times in the series...


 I told my husband after reading these books, I see why he's such a stubborn and tough little fellow.  ;)

Have you read the Outlander books or seen the series on television?  If so, what did you think of them?  I find them especially interesting in light of the upcoming vote to decide Scottish independence.

Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great day!

Denise

7 comments:

  1. There's my pig headed favorite little pup! He's still a cutie:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best show ever, do what ever you can to see it. Cheers Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thistles really are pretty, but here they are a noxtious weed and get a good dose of Round-up. As for Outlander, I have not read read the books, but I will. My friend has devoured the series twice, now we are obssessing over the series. I have been watcing it. I told my friend that I though the story was moving rather slowly, but she said it really wasn't. I think there is one more episode. The series is very well done, beautiful scenery, wonderful acting and actors. It will probably hit Netflix soon or evern online or dvd. Little Duncan is growing. He's a cute little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen the show or read the books. The costumes and characters look entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I haven't read them and we don't get Starz either. I think I would love them, and I 'm sure my husband would. I need to ask him about this.

    (And I didn't know that was the legend, either. I love that.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the books or seen the series. It does sound interesting. I am waiting to hear how Scotland votes. I'm also wondering what it will all mean for the U.K....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been watching Outlander and it's fantastic, but a little crude. The costumes are gorgeous and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't will all kinds of awards. I was surprised to see that, even though it's filmed in Scotland, it isn't shown in the UK. Maybe too controversial?

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer