Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lemon-Poppy Seed Scones

Last week, I celebrated another birthday.  What a fast year this has been!  I went to dinner at a favorite restaurant with my husband and son and had a wonderful meal.  The next day, I had lunch with my parents in their sun room and afterwards made scones with my mom.


I'm embarrassed to admit this is the first time I've ever made scones.  I just didn't think I'd be able to make them turn out right, but they did.  :)  My mom had made some of these several months ago when I visited them, and they were just delicious.  I recently asked her if I could try making them at her house so she could watch and see if I was "working the dough" correctly.  To me, that's the trickiest part.  Well, they weren't as hard to make as I'd anticipated, and we had such fun baking and visiting.


My mom was always a good biscuit maker when we were growing up, and I think scones are a lot like biscuits.  When I first got married, I asked my mom to show me how to make biscuits.  She got out her mixing bowl and her ingredients, and then showed me how she makes them.  She dumped in self-rising flour, some Crisco shortening, and some buttermilk, and I asked, "How much of each?"  She said she didn't measure, she could just tell by looking and by the feel of the biscuit dough.  Well folks, that was it for my biscuit making career.  ;)  I have to have measurements; I like for things to be exact (as much as possible) when I'm cooking or baking.


Luckily, this recipe has exact measurements, and these scones weren't difficult to make.  Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them:

      Lemon-Poppy Seed Scones
  •    2 cups all-purpose flour
  •    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  •    2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  •    Zest of two large lemons
  •    1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •    1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1.  Preheat oven to 400°F.  In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Using a pastry cutter or two knives (I use a pastry cutter), cut in butter until mixture resembles very coarse meal.  Pour in heavy cream, then add 1/4 cup lemon juice, stirring just until dough forms.
2.  Using your hands, gather dough together and gently press into a ball.  Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and shape into an 8-inch disk.  Cut into eight wedges and separate so scones are about one inch apart.  Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 12 to 14 minutes.  Transfer scones to a wire rack and let cool, about 20 minutes.
3.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar with remaining lemon juice (1 tablespoon) and stir until smooth.  Using a spoon, drizzle glaze over cooled scones.  Makes eight scones.


Now you could always add a little butter, Devonshire cream, or preserves if you like, but with this glaze, they really don't need a thing (except a nice cup of tea).  :)  If you pop them in the microwave for about 12 to 15 seconds, they soften up nicely and will taste good several days later provided you keep them in an airtight container.


Thanks so much, Mom, for helping me bake scones!  It was great to have some mother-daughter time while we worked in your kitchen.

Thank you all for your visit and have a wonderful day.
Denise

Table setting:
Dishes - Churchill "Finlandia"
Flatware - Oneida "Tennyson" stainless
Embroidered Napkin - Local antique mall
Tray Cloth - Angelina's Tea Shop, Winston-Salem, NC

Linking To:
Tablescape Thursday, hosted by Susan at BNOTP
Home Sweet Home, hosted by Sherry
Foodie Friday, hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I'd love one of these with my coffee this morning! Happy belated B-Day Denise:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look great Denise, just like in the bakery window. I cant believe those are the first ones you ever made.

    I am NOT a good baker thats for sure.
    Duncan looks mighty cute on your sidebar~! wow, he has grown so much and turned into a very handsome gentleman..
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bam. You hit a home run with this post, IMO. The story was great and so relatable. The table looks so pretty with the scones. On top of that, the recipe looks delicious, and I am pinning. My husband is a scone lover from wayyyyyyy back. His grandmother once tried to give me her scone recipe long distance. If you think following a biscuit making mama is hard, try a scone making Scottish nanny in her 90s over the phone. Therefore, I have never successfully made Nanny's scones.

    I will try these.

    HAPPY HAPPY Belated Birhtday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon poppyseed scones. Yours looks beautiful as does the table. Now that you see they are so easy, maybe you will make more. A belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon poppy seed is one of my favorites. I haven't made scones and have always meant too. It's nice to be able to still have your mom to teach. My mom was that way: a bit of this, a dab of that. I quite making fried chicken because I could never make it like hers. I hope she reads your blog. And a Happy Birthday, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post. It was fun making the scones. I had my last one this morning with my coffee. I'm going to make cranberry scones next. I think they will be good for the holidays. Happy Birthday again to our first baby. We love you. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw ww Happy Belated Birthday, Denise! What a special day to make scones with your mom and do they ever look good! Your setting looks so pretty with the lovely dishes and your pretty card. I wish I could share a scone with you over a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your scones and surroundings are lovely! Thanks for joining us at Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday sweet friend! It sounds like you celebrated the best way ever...with family! I love scones and just recently started making them. Oh my....yours look incredible! Enjoy your weekend! I hope you are still celebrating! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Your scones looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer