Sunday, March 14, 2021

Remembering Williamsburg

Happy Saturday, everyone.  I guess I should say "Happy March" too, because I don't think I've posted since February.  I hope you're seeing some signs of spring in your part of the world.  We're seeing lots of daffodils and some tulip trees in bloom.  
   
   
   
   It's another gray, dreary day here in our part of North Carolina.  I was thinking about the trip we took to Williamsburg, Virginia, in April of 2019, and I thought I would post some more pictures of the historic section of Colonial Williamsburg.  We stayed within walking distance of the historic area, and this red house is one of the first houses we saw upon walking over our first day there.  Unfortunately part of the front is blocked by the tall hedges, but I do like all the dormer windows.  I thought it was interesting that the whole house is painted in two shades of red.  It gives it a very monochromatic look, wouldn't you say?
        
   
   
This is a glimpse of Bassett Hall, John D. Rockefeller's home in Colonial Williamsburg.
   

Many of the houses I'm showing are just private residences, and I don't really have any information about them.  I noticed a lot of the picket fences looked like they needed a fresh coat of paint.
   

Love these shutter dogs; some day I'm going to get some for our house. 
   

I found the wells, sheds, and dovecotes so charming with their weathered shingle roofs.
   
   
      
         
I liked the general orderly feeling of the community.  The sturdy frame houses with substantial, brick chimneys,
         
      
   
   
     
the brick walkways and picket fences,   
   
   
   
and neat, tidy gardens.   

   
It was fairly quiet on the day we took these pictures, but I can easily imagine it as a bustling British colony with people tending their shops; sewing dresses and trousers, coats, hats and bonnets; making shoes, tools, guns and knives, as well as eating and drinking utensils.  Wigmakers, silversmiths, and bookbinders, and apothecaries worked alongside one another here.  The tavern owners would be roasting meat and brewing their ales/beers for hungry and thirsty patrons.  Residents would be tending their gardens and taking care of their home and children.  All of this makes for a busy, prosperous community, and in the midst of it all, some would have been plotting a revolution.  Yes, history is endlessly fascinating to me.
            
           

As the old saying goes, "If these walls could talk..."   
      
   
      
Bruton Parish Episcopal Church above located on Duke of Gloucester Street.  I hope we can tour this in a future visit to Williamsburg. The church was constructed 1711-1715.  It's open daily to visitors from early morning to evening.  Actually I should say it was open until Covid-19.  At some point, it will hopefully be open again.
   

The Capitol Building, above, is a reconstruction from the 1930's.  The first two original capitol buildings were destroyed by fire.
   


1770 Courthouse
   

The powder magazine, built of brick in 1715 to protect the colony's arms and munitions. 
    
           
   

I certainly will be glad when we can travel again. 
   

Sorry for all the pictures folks -- I'm going stir crazy over here.  Thank you so much for stopping by here; your visits make my day!  💗 😊  Wishing you a good week going forward.   
   
  
   

.  

2 comments:

  1. Williamsburg is a place I'd love to visit one day. So much history. The red house is very charming, and everything is so well kept.
    I hope spring is happening in your area, Denise. Enjoy the warmer, brighter days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great historical place to visit. Love all the architecture and these streets. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer