Saturday, November 18, 2017

I Love Thanksgiving

Hello everyone!  Once again I haven't posted in over two weeks; I sure hope I can do better than this in 2018.

Those of you who live in the U.S., are you looking forward to Thanksgiving?  I sure am.  I feel like I have so much to be thankful for, and I look forward to spending time with our family and sharing good food and fellowship.


I was browsing through our pictures last night, and I came across some Thanksgiving pictures that I hadn't seen before.  I looked at the date and realized that was the year that I got so sick at Thanksgiving (terrible sinus infection and a touch of bronchitis) and I wasn't able to go to Thanksgiving lunch with Hal and Will for the first time in all our married life.  We alternate each year between my parents and Hal's, and we were eating at his parents' house that year (2015).  Lucky for me, his mom sent me a plate of good food, so I didn't have to feel too sorry for myself.  ;)

Thanksgiving, along with Christmas, has long been just about my favorite holiday.  When I was growing up, I loved those wonderful smells coming from our kitchen when my mom was cooking the celery and onion for the dressing.  Of course the turkey always smelled delicious too, and so did the chocolate and pumpkin pies.  Last year, we ate Thanksgiving lunch at my parents' house, but we didn't take any pictures -- not sure why.

Here are some pics from Hal's family's Thanksgiving in 2015.

  
Turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and broccoli casserole in the picture above.


My mother-in-law makes the most wonderful cranberry relish; it's the best I've ever eaten.  It looks pretty, too.  :)


A chicken casserole provided by Hal's great-aunt and deviled eggs behind that.


Pecan, pumpkin, and chocolate pies for dessert.


My mother-in-law's scrumptious, overnight yeast rolls -- everyone loves them.



The younger grandchildren eat at the island countertop.  Dishes are Johnson Brothers "Historic America - Pink" pattern.  These belonged to my husband's late grandmother.



The dishes at the dining room and kitchen tables are Villeroy and Boch "Basket" pattern.



I love these Byers Choice pilgrims and Native Americans.







I absolutely love this time of year -- from September to January, it really is the best.  I always get so sentimental around these holidays, too; I can't help but think of loved ones who are no longer with us.  I am so thankful for all of my family and am trying to make the most of our time together.

Will you travel for Thanksgiving this year, or will your family come to your house?  Thanks so much for visiting here and have a lovely weekend!


Denise

6 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the whole year, the aroma of baking turkey, autumn colors and football on TV, all with the anticipation of holidays to come. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad that I didn’t miss it! 😉 Sorry that you missed it in person. Yes, it is a womderful time of year, though the weather has already bottomed out here. Oh well, Christmas lights soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are so beautiful Denise. Thanksgiving is by far our favorite holiday! Your menu looks delicious and I can hear the laughter and sounds of family! Happy Thanksgiving to a beautiful person...may your day be filled with love and warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Thanksgiving, too, Denise. All the food that you've shown looks so delicious! Have you ever posted your mother in law's cranberry relish? I'm loving those pink JB transferware plates...sigh! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all looks wonderful, Denise. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, all of you. It amused me to see that someone had written a blog post explaining why the British don't celebrate Thanksgiving! Perhaps we should?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thanksgiving, too. A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours this year, Denise!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer