Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Apple Pudding Cake

I'm so glad to see October -- how about you?  Unfortunately, it looks like we have a hurricane headed towards the coast, but I'm loving these cooler temperatures.  I've got to get my fall wardrobe ready and change out my pocketbook.  ;)

I'm sharing a recipe with you tonight.  It was my first time to make this, and I think it turned out well.  We bought apples in the mountains this past weekend at my favorite produce stand on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We got a bag of Rome Beauties and a bag of Golden Delicious.  I have to tell you that I've made apple pies for years with my mom's recipe, and it's a killer apple pie, if I do say so.  Everyone we serve it to loves it, and I'll be making one of those soon, too.  However, I've challenged myself to try some new apple desserts this year, so this was the first.  I would definitely make this again.


This is apple pudding cake.  The name caught my attention, as did the pictures online.  I'd rather make this type of cake than a layer cake, although I've made some layer cakes in my time, too.  


I love the nice golden brown color of the cake.  All the apples are on the bottom, so in a way, this reminds me a little bit of fruit cobbler.  The texture really is more like a cake, though, and we enjoyed it very much.

You can find the recipe I used on the Food.com website Here.  I made just a few changes, and next time, I would add at least one more apple to mine.

  • 4-6 apples, sliced (I used four apples, and next time I would use at least five)
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons water
Batter
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur)
  • 1/2 cup of white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons shortening, melted
  • 1/2 cup of milk (I used 3/4 cup)
  • cinnamon sugar (optional)
  • whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Slice apples, with or without the peel, to fill a casserole dish.  I used an 8 1/2" square, glass baking dish.

Sprinkle apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, and water.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

In a small bowl or shaker, combine vanilla, egg, melted shortening, and milk.

Add to the flour mixture and beat until smooth; then pour over the apples.

If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  I sprinkled with nutmeg, because just about everything's better with nutmeg.  ;)

Bake for one hour or until golden.  Here's where mine really differed.  One of the commenters on the recipe said her cake was golden brown after 45 minutes, so I set my timer for 45 minutes.  But after 35 minutes, my cake was very golden brown, and I was afraid it was going to get too brown and dry out, so I pulled it out.  I let it cool for about five minutes, and that was perfect.  You'll want to set your timer based on how fast/hot your oven cooks, and certainly check on the cake periodically.  I served ours with commercial whipped cream, but homemade whipped cream would be even better, as would ice cream, custard sauce, etc.




I kind of messed up and cut the slices too small; I should have done 12 slices instead of 16.  That problem is easily solved by doubling the portions.  :-D  This was an easy cake to make and very tasty for a fall night.  We had a very simple meal of sloppy joes, and this made for a really nice treat afterward.  I hope you'll give this recipe a try, and if you do, let me know what you think.

Happy October and Happy Fall Y'all.  Thanks so much for your visit and have a great week!

I'm joining:
Thoughts of Home on Thursday
Foodie Friday and Everything Else


Cheers,

Denise

  

7 comments:

  1. Oh Denise! Thank you for this recipe! It reminded me of one I used to make for my daddy and cannot find it anywhere! Love this! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Denise, this apple pudding cake sounds like the perfect Fall dessert to try! What I want to know is, did the apples get tender? I'll bet serving it warm, topped with whipped cream, was heavenly. I also like that it's a smaller size, rather than a 9 x 13. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Denise. This apple pudding cake looks lovely. A wonderful dessert for this time of year. You could use the new Recipes Generator I talked about on my blog. I would love if you share this on Sunday at our link party, Dishing It & Digging It. I can remove those birds in your blog background....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try an apple pudding cake. I have made a pear and a peach one that turned out delicious. Happy October to you. Hope you don't get too much nasty weather from the hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great to me! I have some very tart apples that I must get rid of. =D Enjoy these October days and I am so glad to know that Matthew is heading out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I love seasonal desserts like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, you apple pudding cake looks wonderful. I'm a new follower.. With love Janice

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer