Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Spring Tour of Biltmore House, Part 4

I took a break from the Biltmore posts because I didn't want to swamp you with the whole house at one time.  If I take too much of a break, I'll have trouble getting back to the subject, so today, we'll tour two more rooms.


Next on the tour are the salon and the music room.  In these two connecting rooms, costumes from "The Golden Bowl" were displayed.  This was a 2000 film adaptation of Henry James' novel, starring Kate Beckinsale, Nick Nolte, Uma Thurman, Jeremy Northam, and Anjelica Huston.


This is the salon, and in here are two dresses worn by Kate Beckinsale and Uma Thurman.  There's a gorgeous mirror in the background (above)


and an ornate clock on the table in the foreground.


Another beautiful flower arrangement...


Now we move into the music room, where we have more snow-white hydrangeas.


They've even matched the roses in this arrangement to the dress on the left -- so much attention to detail.  The roses on the fireplace mantel also coordinate with the dresses.


These dresses were worn by Uma Thurman and Anjelica Huston.


In this picture, you get a more open view of the pianoforte.


Mr. Vanderbilt definitely used a variety of textures, colors, and patterns in this room -- throughout the whole house, really.


This is such an unusual ceiling -- note the pattern of lyres on the beams.


Another handsome clock, and I love the small vase of roses.



Back to the dresses in the salon; what do you think of the peacock feather headdress and fan?


I love all the lace on this dress.


Following are some close-ups of the costumes.




I cannot imagine walking around with a whole, dead mink on my shoulders.  I do think the embroidery and seeding on this collar and blouse are beautiful, though.



Close-ups of the dresses in the music room.



This is a Meissen porcelain candlestick representing one of the twelve apostles.  All twelve candlesticks are displayed in a glass cabinet in the music room.  George Vanderbilt was a serious collector and the house is filled with a variety of objets d'art.  I have some interesting facts to share about the music room at Biltmore, but I'll save that for another post.  

Once again, I've been absent from blogging; we've been so busy for the last few weeks.  I have many visits and comments to catch up on, so please bear with me.  I'll share more about what we've been doing in the next post.  I hope all is well with you in your corner of the world and hope you have a great day!!

Hugs,

Denise

3 comments:

  1. Those costumes are really something else. Thanks for sharing more from the Biltmore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such opulence of interest to capture with your camera. I know someone who would love the peacock feather headdress to wear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the mink, I think the feet on that thing would bother me hanging on my shoulders.
    Great costumes, especially the beading. The stencil detail on moulding and ceiling is something I can't imagine anyone doing, must have taken forever to do that.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer