Sunday, April 12, 2015

Southport Cottages

I can hardly believe it's Sunday night again -- another weekend has flown by.  I hope yours was a good one!  A few weeks ago I shared a cute cottage in Southport, N.C., for St. Patrick's Day.  Here are some more Southport cottages for you.


If you're a person who loves cottages, Southport is the place for you.  So many charming cottages, so little time.  This one looks tiny from the front --


but when you see it from the side, it looks much bigger.  I love the stained wood front door on this house.


Love the Bermuda shutters on the end of this porch.


Again, you can see the full size of the house from the side.  Most of the houses in this part of Southport were built in the 1800's and early 1900's; almost all of them have historic markers on the front.  These first two houses appear to be new construction, but they blend well with the older homes.


Not only are the cottages charming, but their setting is picture perfect.


Isn't this a cute little place?  It really looks more like a shop than a house.  I wonder if someone bought an old shop and converted it to a residence?  I love the window treatments and the double front doors.


This house above reminds me of a green butter mint.


Here you can see one of the historic markers I mentioned to the right of the door.  Another charming front door!  I never see doors like this in our town.  I finally saw a Haint blue porch ceiling; I've seen them mentioned on other blogs and in magazines, but had never seen one in person.


Here's a closer look.


I think this is a really pretty cottage -- isn't that a great porch?


Here's a closer view of the side porch.


This bell was hanging on the porch; it has an early American look to it.


I love that gable on the front.


Viewed from the other side.


Here's the last house on this little row; I love the curving sidewalk and the way the tree makes a screen for the upper porch.


Pretty lace curtains on and around the door.


And this one's for sale folks.  It's definitely a charmer and neat as a pin.


On the other side of the street was this house.  I've never seen a picket fence shaped like this one -- so cute.  :)


This looks like another Haint blue porch ceiling and beautiful front door.


Check out the little wrought iron gate on the right.  Do you see the three dogs standing in front of the door on the right side of the house?  They were so funny; they barked at us the whole time we were taking pictures of their house and the house next door.


They're barking and howling in this picture.  ;)


We've never walked down this street before, and it was fun to see these houses.


Southport is one of the most unique towns I've ever visited.


I'll share some more of these pretty homes in another post.  You can see other houses in Southport Here and Here.


We parked in front of the old Smithville Burying Ground and walked several blocks, taking pictures as we went.  This old live oak stands in front of the cemetery.


I couldn't resist taking a picture of this; I've never seen ferns growing on a tree trunk before, have you?!  I've seen ivy and kudzu, but not ferns.  They're so lush and green, too.  I wonder if they'll kill the tree -- I hope not.


A big camellia bush had shed its blossoms over the ground.


Finally, as we were returning to our car, a bluebird flew past us and landed on a nearby tree.  My husband captured some great pictures of it.



He's looking at something on the ground here -- so cute.  :-D



It was a great day for taking pictures; the sky was blue, the sunshine was cheerful, and there were lots of good shadow shots.  I hope you enjoyed the tour; thanks so much for joining me!  I so appreciate your visits and comments and hope you have a wonderful week.

I'm linking to Mosaic Monday, hosted by Judith at Lavender Cottage, and Amaze Me Monday, hosted by Cindy at Dwellings The Heart of Your HomeThank you, ladies, for hosting these parties!


Denise

20 comments:

  1. Cottages are such friendly looking houses. Love all the big porches. What an enjoyable walk you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,

    What a beautiful day, indeed - perfect for pics and peeking at sun drenched porches of pretty cottages! Your collection is adorable, and my favourite is the white house for sale; it's definitely a charmer, and I doubt that it will be on the market for long. What a delightful, little bluebird, too, to greet you good bye on your departure from this stunning Southport community.

    Thanks for sharing and visiting me, too!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, I've been to Southport and enjoyed it. The ferns on the trees are called resurrection ferns. They're a type of air plant and I don't think they hurt the trees. I've seen them all over the southeast. Enjoyed your post. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this info., Dawn! I'm glad to know what these are called. I think Resurrection Fern is very appropriate here at the cemetery. I'll be on the lookout for more of these now; they really are pretty.

      Delete
  4. Hi Denise, I'm visiting from Amaze Me Monday. Those cottages are wonderful, I really like that pink shop looking house and the two story house. The Bluebird photos are gorgeous!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a very nice comment! The curtains are from Pottery Barn, I've had them for a few years now and I don't think they sell them anymore, crazy because a lot of people have asked about them!
    You have such a nice blog and I visited your post about Winston Salem, I was there a few years ago, my step daughter lives in Winston Salem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos. Really inspring. So many pretty houses and I just love the porches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I love cottages too and really enjoyed your tour of Southport ... bluebird, too! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all lovely cottages but I think I love the yellow one best....with bluebirds and raining camellias to add to the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved a house with a good porch and this town has many! Beautiful photos. Such a sweet little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful collection of homes, each one prettier than the one before. Thank you for taking me to Southport!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful collection of scenic cottages. Love the style of the gabled cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed all of these lovely cottages and the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love cozy little cottages and the best part about the ones you've shown are the porches on the front. It's sad that architecture has taken family living to the back yard and forgotten about the front where passing neighbours could stop to chat.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I soooo love cottages, Denise. I'd be happy to live in a cozy one, and Southport looks like a town that is love to visit.
    I've never seen ferns growing on trees, either, but they looked so pretty there. I loved the pic of the bluebird, too. You and Hal enjoy so many places together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the fun cottages but my favorite is the bluebird. I had hoped the bluebird family would return again to my birdhouse but the wrens have taken over. You get great pics of bluebirds. They will not be still for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! Such a charming town, with so many lovely cottages.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful town !
    I do a series on old houses so this was right up my alley - that first one? I want to live there !
    Thanks for sharing
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm lucky enough to live only a few minutes from Southport and never fail to be charmed with the adorable houses all throughout this adorable town. It is also host to the tv show "Under the Dome" which I have had many opportunities to appear in as an "extra"...just another fun perk of living nearby. Your pics are sure to beckon a few more lover's of charm down for a delightful visit!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - I'm pretty sure I'm going to pack my bags and move there today! : ) I would love to live in such a charming town. Every house is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer