Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Christmas Tree Farm

The day after Thanksgiving, we drove to the mountains to pick out the Christmas trees.  We usually get two trees for our house, one for the living room and one for the den.  We also choose a tree for my in-laws.  This year, however, we won't be putting a Christmas tree in our den because of our little Scottish/Tasmanian devil.  ;)  We're thinking by next Christmas, he'll have calmed down enough for us to have one in the den again.  He is still a puppy, after all.

Anyway, off we went to the tree farm to pick out Fraser firs for the 28th Christmas in a row, but this year, we were in for a special surprise --


snow at the Christmas tree farm!!


Mind you, it wasn't a big snow like you'd see in New England; but it was a pretty snow.  For some reason, it made me think of the movie White Christmas.  :)



You can see that the snow had already melted some.


Still, it was the first time in all these years of going to the mountains to get our tree that there was actually snow on the ground.  I wish my parents could have been there to see it.  They're the ones who told us about the tree farm the first Christmas we were married, and for years, they drove up to get their tree, as well.  They stopped going a few years ago because it was just too hard for them to get the tree unloaded and into the tree stand.  We have offered to do it for them, but they said no.  I think they miss having a real tree, but I don't think my mom misses all the cleanup involved afterwards.  I can't say I blame her for that.  :)


This year, more than ever, I'm so thankful for our parents and everything they have meant to us.


After we had the Christmas trees loaded, we drove almost exactly an hour to West Jefferson, North Carolina, to the Ashe County Cheese Shop.  


Unfortunately, they were already closed by the time we got there, but you can see the cheese shop and factory in this post I wrote a few years ago.

The drive along winding roads through the mountains to West Jefferson was so beautiful with the snow still on the mountains and in the valleys.  Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures because we were driving, but it was worth the extra time involved to see our beloved mountains in the snow.

I finished decorating our tree today, and it makes me happy to look at it.  :)  That's all the Christmas decorating I've done so far.  How about you -- have you finished your decorating yet?  Thanks so much for your visit and have a great week!!

Denise

7 comments:

  1. The tree farm looks pretty with the snow Denise! I think you had just enough snow for the outing, great to look at but it didn't interfere-enjoy your tree! Everything is up here but I do always hold out hope to find something fun at the thrift shops:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful tree farm. I'm pretty much done with what I'm going to do this year in decorating. It changes every year around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, Your post made me want to a fresh tree. Of course there should be snow on the ground when you go for your tree. I feared the Boone would tear into the tree, but he has pretty much ignored it. I did't put decorations around the bottom to keep him from knocking them off, but as tall as he is the tree would be bare a quarter of the way up. I still have some decorating to do, but at least I have the tree up. I hope you share photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun, yearly tradition for you and Hal, Denise. I'll bet the smell of the fresh tree in your house is amazing. Yes, maybe next year, you'll be able to get your second tree with Duncan being another year older. I have finished decorating and am enjoying the ambience of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much fun to get a real tree and bring it home in the car. Bet the car smelled just like Christmas. I remember when our wire fox terrier was little, we put up the Christmas tree on the coffee table and wired it to the table so he couldn't get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the fresh greens spells wonderful. We haven't had a real tree in many years. I enjoy the fragrance of the fresh greenery. Thinking about your trip to get a tree sounds so nice.
    I have had a bit of trouble with my lights on my tree this year. Nice that you are all done. I am still working.
    Your post was refreshing and touching. Great to have your parents. I lost mine 31 years ago so you are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise, I know I am backwards in reading your posts. For some reason I have gotten far behind. What a treat to have snow for picking out your tree. We used to cut our tree every year when the kids were home and small but we haven't done it for ages. It's all about the faux now and sometimes I think that is pretty sad. Maybe next year I'll surprise myself and hit the forests again! I hope you are going to let us get a peek at your decorated tree..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer