Monday, June 23, 2014

Making A Pretty Bird Feeder

I've been feeling crafty lately --


-- but not this kind of crafty.  ;)


Google lists an informal definition of crafty as:  "of, involving, or relating to the making of decorative objects and other things by hand."  You know, that kind of crafty.  Anyway, I made my sister and my niece summer, mason jar candles, but of course I forgot to take a picture of them.  They were an easy craft, but they were awfully cute, if I do say so.  ;)  This weekend, with a little help from Mr. Forest Manor, I made these teacup bird feeders/garden art.


I made one for myself and one for my mother-in-law because her birthday was Friday.  We gave it to her yesterday evening, and she really liked it.  Now, this was not my own clever idea -- I found it last week on Yvonne's blog, Stone Gable.  Here's a link to her post with a list of the supplies you'll need and step-by-step instructions on how to make this teacup bird feeder.


I believe Yvonne said she found her teacups and saucers at the local Goodwill, but I never have much luck at our Goodwill.  I purchased my cups and saucers at HomeGoods (my favorite shopping place), but I imagine you could find some cheaper at your Goodwill store.  These are "Gracie Bone China" by Coastline Imports, and they were $6.99 each.  That's not bad when you're making them as gifts for family members.  We purchased the copper pipe and other supplies at our local Lowe's.  The only thing I did differently from Yvonne's instructions was to use Gorilla Glue® instead of marine epoxy because the Gorilla Glue® stated that it would dry transparent, which it did.


I couldn't be happier with the way these turned out.  I'll be making one for my own mom, as well.



If you're interested in making one of these for your own garden or as a gift for someone, check out Yvonne's post for an easy tutorial on how to make them.  I think you'll be glad you did.  :)  By the way, you may have noticed that my teacup bird feeder has no birdseed in it.  It probably won't ever have any because we have so many problems with squirrels and raccoons getting on our bird feeders, I'm afraid it would get broken in no time.  If it weren't for that, I would love to fill it with birdseed and watch the birds when they visit.

I don't mean to bore you with our porch, folks, but I had several things that needed doing this year.  I still have three things on my list, and I'll consider it truly finished for this season.  We worked in the front yard some more this weekend, and the heat and humidity were brutal.  I hate to do it, but I'll probably be spending most of this week indoors; I just can't take much more of the heat right now.  Is it awfully hot where you are?  If so, I hope you're managing to stay cool.

Thanks for stopping by and for reading me; I so appreciate your visits.  I hope you have a great week!


Denise

I'm linking this post to:
Amaze Me Monday, hosted by Cindy
Metamorphosis Monday, hosted by Susan
Inspire Me Tuesday, hosted by Marty
Home and Garden Thursday, hosted by Kathy
Home Sweet Home, hosted by Sherry

9 comments:

  1. Love the tea cup. Here the thrift stores are not always so cheap on what they consider collectible items and the pickers keep the shelves pretty clean of good stuff. We have had a very cool June. A short heavy rain with some hail did some damage last night, but not awful. Right now we have hay down-- wet. I sometimes wonder how those who live in the south endure the heat and humidity. My brother in Texas says you get used to it. I hope you have good indoor projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet feeder! And I love the teacup you chose, it's so pretty. Hope you are able to stay a little cooler, it's been hot here too, so hot we headed to the Mtns!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the little tea cup bird feeder. It looks so cute in your flower pot. I especially liked the part about making one for your Mom. Love you, your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your teacup bird feeder turned out so pretty, Denise. Rich made me one several years ago, but actually drilled through the teacup. I will have to try the glue method... I could do that for sure!
    It looks so cute sitting in your planter on the porch. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Look forward to pics with birds enjoying the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bird feeder. I made some myself along with other things like plates for water for birds. What has happened is that they fill up with rain ackkkkk!!!! So I have not put bird seed in yet. How is yours doing?
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute project! Wonder if squirrels would be able to get into it? Perhaps just some water like a bird bath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous project - I do love these! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer