Sunday, December 2, 2012

Winter Concert at UNCG

Hi everyone!  Can you believe it's December?  I like it when Thanksgiving falls a week earlier on the calendar because it gives us an extra week between the two holidays to prepare for Christmas.  I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's Christmas posts so far; I've seen some wonderful Advent wreaths this week as we enter into this holy season.

I don't have a Christmas post for you today.  I'm still decorating, and I'll have some pictures to show very soon.  In the meantime, I'm sharing some pictures of our son's winter band concert yesterday evening at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.



This was officially his last school band concert, which makes me really sad.  Those concerts have been a part of our lives for so many years.

When I first began blogging, I wrote a post about the campus at UNCG in the spring, which you can read Here.  In that post, I shared some exterior pictures of Aycock Auditorium, and I promised to share some pictures of the interior.




Now, almost two years later, I'm finally showing you those pictures.  Last night was the first time we've been able to take some detailed pictures of the inside of this gorgeous building.





Aren't this chandelier and medallion gorgeous?  We always sit in the balcony at the concerts, and the chandelier is easily visible.


A close-up of the chandelier...


...and the medallion.



This auditorium is full of beautifully carved and painted woodwork.



Love these garlands.


This grill work is so pretty, and I love the light patterns in these pictures.


Some close-ups of the grill work...



The carved arch in the background is over the stage.


More pretty light...


Now for the concert performance.



The conductor is walking onstage now.




Our son plays the French Horn; he's the bearded fellow in the middle row, to the right of the young lady playing the horn.  He doesn't normally wear a beard, but he's participating in "No-Shave November" to raise money for his fraternity.



 Some of the evening's soloists above.



I'm so proud of our son!!!  He's been playing the French horn (not an easy instrument to play) for about ten years.




After the concert, we were able to get a few more pictures of the auditorium.  I love these wrought-iron banisters.




...and beautiful columns.


I'm fascinated by historic buildings like this; the architecture is so grand.  Aycock Auditorium originally opened in 1927; it re-opened in 2010 after a two-year, $19 million renovation.

Thanks for taking your valuable time during this very busy season to visit House at Forest Manor.  I hope you'll visit again soon; have a wonderful day!

 Denise


I'm joining:

Seasonal Sundays, hosted by The Tablescaper
Mosaic Mondays, hosted by Mary at Little Red House

8 comments:

  1. Oh, a glorious place and I'm sure the concert was wonderful too. thanks so much for poping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pictures of Will. I can't believe he is a senior in college ---seems like only yesterday. He is a fine young man and his Grandma and Granddaddy are very proud of him. Makes me sad too. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of such a gorgeous building. Reminds me of some of the bldgs at another UNC campus where my son went. I also was drawn the architectural details and taking photos! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful auditorium and a handsome son! Hope that he didn't mind playing second French horn to the architecture. =D You made me smile because I do the same thing at auditoriums...look over all the architectural details and marvel at the artistry. Now I'm sure that if I could have heard this concert as well, I'd be very impressed. All the best to your son and I hope that he finds a way to use his talent long after he has left the band. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A brick building, gorgeous architectural details, and a son who plays the French horn. What's not to like about this post? Lots to absorb here. Did any particular piece the band played stand out to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise! I love when Thanksgiving falls early too and it also makes retailers very happy :)

    My husband transferred to and graduated from UNCG but I've never visited the campus. What handsome architectural details~ I love the glow cast from those wonderful chandeliers! I enjoyed meeting your handsome bearded son :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a big part of your lives this has been in your life, Denise! Thank you for sharing pictures of your handsome son playing the french horn. I know you are proud of him and his accomplishments. Your photos of the auditorium were outstanding. What a beautiful building inside and out. I love seeing these things through your eyes. The play of the shadows on the grill work was so pretty. Congratulations to your dear son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a feast for the eyes and ear! That building is just beyond incredible!

    Be merry and bright!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer