Thursday, August 11, 2011

English Garden Tablescape

I'm happy to be linking to Tablescape Thursdays this week, hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.  It's been awhile for me, and I'm going through tablescape withdrawal :-)  The inspirations for my table this week are the floral table runner and matching napkins that I found way back at the beginning of the summer, and I'm just now getting to use them.  What an incredibly short summer this has been!!


While browsing in Marshall's one day, my shopping radar led me straight to these pretty linens.  They're Ralph Lauren, the fabric is really good quality, and the price was great.  They remind me of the wonderful fabrics that are used so often in English country homes.  They seem to bring those amazing gardens inside, and they manage to look elegant and cozy at the same time.  So I bought these and stored them until I could find time to set just the right table with them. 

I wanted the table to have a garden/botanical theme.  After visiting England and looking at several English books and magazines featuring English homes, I discovered a common theme, especially in the country homes and cottages.  They love their plant and animal life.  Or Flora and Fauna, if you prefer the Latin term.  I think it sounds prettier :)

I had the floral aspect covered with the linens, so for the Fauna aspect, I borrowed a couple of indoor birdhouses that I've had for years...



and the stone bird, which I've also had for years.


The herb book is one of my coffee table books, and the silk flower arrangement came from our coffee table as well.


I didn't use real flowers because I didn't want to have too many colors, and when I tried these pink silk peonies, they just seemed to coordinate beautifully.

Not long after I bought the floral linens, I stopped by a local antique mall.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I spotted these small fruit/dessert bowls with the solitary pink rose for $2.99 each, and I felt sure they would match the linens.


They have a little crazing in them, but I still love them.  The back stamp says HARMONY HOUSE, Oven Proof Dinnerware by Universal, "Symphony Betsy Rose".



I used my honeycomb taper candles, and the little miniature topiary pots I found discounted after July Fourth.


The last element I wanted to include was burlap.  I have seen so much burlap on tables this year, and I think the rustic texture has a garden feel about it and makes a nice contrast for the dressier floral table runner.


Marlis at Creative Journeys has inspired me with her versatile use of burlap in her tablescapes.  Unlike Marlis, I don't sew.  I just folded mine under on both sides and ironed it. I left the ends unfinished.  It definitely adds to the rustic look.  Maybe I should have told you I was just being artistic, instead of revealing that I don't know how to sew ;)

I thought the rattan or basket weave look of the napkin rings went with the garden theme, and I just used simple woven place mats.



So that's my table for this week.  An ode to our quickly departing summer -- hope you enjoyed the pictures.


I'm linking to Pink Saturdays, hosted by Beverly at How Sweet The Sound and Seasonal Sundays, hosted by The Tablescaper.  I'd also like to add that this Saturday, August 13th, is the day that we are asked to share one of our blessings on Beverly's Pink Saturday meme.  She and four other bloggers will be hosting Miracle Makeover, and our participation and comments will help raise money to pay for another Miracle Makeover.  Won't you please stop by these participating blogs and leave a comment to support a worthy cause?

The blessing I'm sharing this week is our son, whose 21st birthday happens to be Saturday, August 13th.  He is one of the greatest blessings in mine and my husband's life.  Happy Birthday, Will!!  Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you all have a great weekend!


Denise


On the Table:

Dinner Plates -- Lenox, "Classic White"
Salad Plates -- Lenox, "Butterfly Meadow"
Fruit/ Dessert Bowls -- Harmony House, "Symphony Betsy Rose"
Flatware -- Oneida "Tennyson"
Salad Forks -- "Old Company" Plate
Pink Goblets -- From my husband's grandmother (Don't know the maker)
Miniature Topiaries -- Cracker Barrel Country Store
Napkin Rings -- World Market
Burlap -- Hancock Fabrics
Floral Table Runner and Napkins -- Marshall's
White Church Bird House -- Online several years ago
Brown Pottery Bird House -- Roads End Pottery, Seagrove, NC
Stone Bird -- Briar Patch Garden Shop
Silk Peony Centerpiece -- Home Goods
Honeycomb Taper Candles -- Online last year

22 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous table! Everything looks so elegant here. Love those soft colours. The setting is very inviting and dreamy! Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooooooooooo pretty...I love roses and there is nothing better to me than a pink and white color scheme. But I think even guys would like this. LOVE the pink glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful, serene, peaceful table, Denise. I just love it, every aspect, the burlap, the bird accents, the dishes, pink glasses, oh my. I love your dining room furniture, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, this table is drop dead gorgeous! I love your Ralph Lauren lines.. so lovely. The dishes you found are perfect with it. You have a great eye for composition. Good idea with the book, i forget to use them on tables. shame on me. I love every bit of this.. I'm humbled that you mentioned me, Thank you so much, you've certainly brightened my day! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your table! I was drooling over the pink goblets. They look like Fostoria...and are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table looks gorgeous. And, I love your new linens.

    Thank you for participating in this very special Pink Saturday. I hope you will send your visitors over to comment and help us to raise more money for the next Miracle Makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly know how to put a pretty table setting together. Looks too pretty to use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely table. I love Ralph Lauren everything. The rose dishes are so pretty as well as the glasses. Have a lovely weekend.
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done. Love the table setting.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Love,
    Karin Şen Cankan
    karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this table. I love the burlap with the florals...it even all works beautifully with your pretty dining chairs. Guests would feel so special at this table. Thank you for sharing your wonderful design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tablescape....

    Wishing you a beautiful pink weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise this is stunning! This table is so fab, I love the single rose bowls that go so perfect with the linens, which are sooo pretty and sooo English. The china is beautiful, along with all the great elements you've used to create this lovely tablescape. Your dining roomis wonderful too. Thank you for your sweet visit and generous comment. Have a nice weekend, what's left of it. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Denise!!! You're not the only one who is unable to sew, so don't despair! I've learned to do a little bit, but it is not so easy at all. Simply pressing the unfinished edges seems to work very well!!! You just can't go wrong with Ralph Lauren, can you? I agree that the roses remind me of an English country home. It's so great that the linens are in concert with the china! Beautiful presentation!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Denise~ I so love your use of burlap with your floral runner! Pressing the edges instead of stitching them works for me :-)

    Your fruit bowls are such a wonderful find~ especially for the bargain price they were! Don't you love when you find the perfect thing that you didn't know you were looking for?! Thanks so much for your visit & your sweet comments. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful table and I wish the end of summer was near, but I'm afraid it will be here until November!!!! Love the fruit bowls your found! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for bringing your most lovely table to Seasonal Sundays. Love those topiaries!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once more you have made me proud. The table is beautiful. Had not seen the beautiful table linens.and I love the little bowls with the rose. We too are thankful for our fine Grandson.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful warmth & elegance so inviting.

    Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive thru 8-18. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday to your son!

    Denise, I really love this table. It happens to be the style that is my very favorite. I love the English Country look, and I love pink. Win/Win.

    Those fruit bowls are exactly the kind of thing I love to find. They give the dimension that I love.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm back.
    I felt like popping back in and giving you an AMEN to your comment about the curly bulbs on my blog.
    I agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi Denise! The linens really do tie everything together in such a beautiful way! And I adore the little topiary trees, they are so cute. Your table is so charming, loved the plates and the little birdhouse! I have a similar Ralph Lauren tablecloth, you have inspired me to pull it out and use it! Thanks for your visit and your kind comments! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer