Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Little Williamsburg"

I'm celebrating Independence Day all this week -- at least on my blog.  Mr. Forest Manor had his out-patient surgery last week, and thankfully, he's doing well.  After I picked him up from work this afternoon, we drove to Old Salem so I could take some pictures while they still had their historic flags out for the Fourth of July.  I grew up in this area and have pretty much lived nearby all my life, and I never get tired of Old Salem.  I LOVE it there.  Years ago we read in a local newspaper or magazine (can't remember which) that Old Salem is like a "Little Williamsburg".  That was probably a tad ambitious :)  Old Salem is quite a bit smaller than Williamsburg, and they don't offer as many events; but it is quite old for this country, and I think it's charming.  You can read my second post about Old Salem HERE.

Old Salem was built in 1766 and features a living history museum that interprets the restored Moravian community. The Moravian church has its origins in ancient Bohemia and Moravia, in what is now the Czech Republic.  To escape religious persecution, the Moravians came to America, where they settled in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and Salem (now Winston-Salem), North Carolina.  Like Williamsburg, Old Salem does historical re-enactments, and the tour guides and interpreters all wear 18th century traditional Moravian costumes.


George Washington visited Salem in 1791 and slept at the Old Salem Tavern.  And this has nothing to do with Colonial America or July 4th; but... the first Krispy Kreme store opened in Old Salem in 1937;)  The doughnuts were made using potato flour, an old Moravian practice.  So that's it for facts in this post; let's look at some pictures.

Hanging in front of this shop is the Grand Union flag, commonly regarded as the first (unofficial) American flag.


Below is the Betsy Ross flag on the Single Brothers House.


This home is flying the 23-Star American flag (effective dates 1820-1822).


I really love seeing these flags from different periods of American history.  Here are the rest of the pictures.  I wanted to get a picture of The Salem Tavern, where George Washington stayed during his visit, but I ran out of time.







The next building is the old Market Fire House.



and the water pump for the fire house


The Single Brothers House...


The Boys School



Home Moravian Church in the background...


...and a closer view.






"Butcher, baker, candlestick maker..."  :)

















Thanks for visiting.  I hope you're celebrating the history of your town, wherever it may be.  I'm linking to Seasonal Sundays hosted by The Tablescaper.  Won't you join us?

Denise

5 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady,
    I love all your beautiful photos !!!! I see you take time with each picture you have on your lovely post.
    Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my new tablescape.... I hope you and your lovely family have a Great Weekend.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old Salem is now on my "must see" list. It looks wonderful, and I love your photos. I love to visit historical places. That's usually what we do for vacations, and it's my first choice.

    We love Williamsburg so I know we would love this. I'm pretty sure my sister has been there.

    And I'm glad your husband is recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old Salem looks wonderful. I love historical places like this. Beautiful photos! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise, thank you so much for letting me visit Old Salem through your lenses... I really appreciate it. I love touring historic places and enjoyed viewing the Salem Tavern and the Singles Brothers House... how wonderfully preserved!Thanks for sharing the lovely images of the different American flags from different periods of our history... Enjoyed my trip here from The Seasonal Sunday Party. Glad to know your husband is recovering well. Blessings~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Salem and so enjoyed my visit!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer