Thursday, January 24, 2013

First Tablescape Re-Posted and Second Blogging Anniversary

Hi everyone!  Is it cold where you are --'cause it's very cold and...um, "breezy" here today.   Thankfully, the sun is shining and the sky is blue, but that may change tomorrow.  As of last night, we had a 50 percent chance of snow tomorrow, and I've got to get out and get all my errands done so we'll have food, just in case.  Mr. Forest Manor and I are hoping for a wee bit of snow.  :)

I didn't announce it at the time, but I celebrated my second year of blogging this January 19th.  No applause, please.  (JUST KIDDING)  :-D  Seriously, this is a big milestone for me because it took me a while to get up enough nerve to start a blog, and now I love it.  I've met so many nice people, and even met a few of you in person.  I've seen some beautiful homes and tablescapes and some amazing projects and crafty creations.  Thanks to all of you for your support and your kind, and often funny (Alycia), comments; and thanks for sharing all your wonderful creativity on a daily basis.

I'm planning to have a giveaway to celebrate the two-year anniversary, which I'll fill you in on later, but for today, I'm re-posting my first tablescape from back in February of 2011.  I linked to Susan's Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch then, and I'm linking this same post again today.  Susan's beautiful blog is the very first blog I saw when I googled "tablescapes" one day, and I was hooked immediately.  I'm also joining our very talented friend, Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen for her Let's Dish party and Seasonal Sundays, hosted by The Tablescaper, who creates amazing tablescapes every single week.  Kathleen has a winter/snow challenge for this week's Let's Dish party.  I hope you'll stop by and see all the creative tables.  Here's my first tablescape re-posted.

     

Tonight I am linking to Susan's Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch. I'm new at blogging, and this is my first time to participate in Tablescape Thursday.  I have enjoyed looking at so many of your posts for some months now and have decided to try my hand at blogging.

I put together this tablescape last winter and I've re-created it this year (with a few tweaks), so this truly was my first tablescape.  My dining room was always in limbo after the Christmas holidays because once I took down the Christmas centerpiece, candles, etc., the table and room looked so bare.  It was a bit sad to look at.  No festive holidays in January (with the exception of a few family birthdays), and it was too soon to put my silk roses back on the table; too soon to think about Easter, which was usually the next thing I decorated the dining room for.



When our son was growing up, we stayed so busy I just didn't try to do any decorating between Christmas and Easter.  But last year, he went off to college and I decided to try something new and, hopefully, creative.  I wanted to make a winterscape somehow, with no hint of Christmas colors like red and green.  So I went through the things I already had, then used some of my leftover Christmas money to go to Pottery Barn and Home Goods to buy a few more pieces.  Then one day, I Googled "Tablescapes" and Susan's wonderful blog popped up, and, PRESTO, I'd found the Mother Ship!  All of those beautiful pictures are enough to get any-one's creative juices flowing.

My husband has been kind enough to help me set up my blog and he's also doing all the photography at the moment.  He has a new camera, so he really enjoys taking pictures, while I, on the other hand, need to take a photography class in order to get comfortable with the new camera.  So, on to the tablescape.  I know everyone is probably sick of winter, but I don't think it's quite finished with us yet this year.  If all goes well, I will have a Valentine tablescape to post next Thursday.  I hope you will take a minute to visit my post, and I hope you enjoy the pictures.  It was fun to create.  Your comments would be much appreciated, and I am looking forward to viewing all of your tables as well!

In creating this tablescape, I wanted to use a winter/snowflake type table runner because I don't often use tablecloths, at least not at the moment.  I was fortunate enough to find this snowflake runner new on E-Bay, so that was my starting point.

Just click on pictures to enlarge.


Next, a centerpiece.  I wanted to use a white pillar candle, so I got a hurricane globe at Pottery Barn, added some glass bits and a snowflake brooch, and that was my centerpiece.


I dug out these crystal candlesticks given to me by my husband's grandmother and not used for many years, and they were perfect for the look I wanted.  Then I found bobeches with etched snowflakes online and ordered those as well.


I knew I wanted to use my everyday blue and white dishes, but I felt like I needed something else to mix with them.  I found the scalloped plates at Home Goods last winter after Christmas.  I like the pale blue-gray color along the edges; it reminded me of snow and ice and the sky in winter.  I decided to do a winter soup meal -- just soup (or stew), bread, wine, and candles.


I won the snowman wine bottle toppers in a Chinese Santa drawing at a Christmas party seven or eight years ago.  I think they're so whimsical and fun, and they have made great conversation pieces.




My in-laws brought me the blue damask napkins from France several years ago.  They were bought to go with my blue and white dishes.


I just love how all the blues came together so well in this tablescape.  The bottle of Childress Holiday White wine came from one of our local area wineries (more on that later).


The white tree taper candles with silver glitter were given to me by my Mom last year after Christmas.   I used plain white tapers in last year's tablescape, but I like these so much better!



The little snowman candle snuffer was given to me by my husband several years ago; it came from a store in our local art district.



The wine goblets were given to me by a friend over 20 years ago, and I love how the lead glass stems sparkle and pick up the light.  And last, but not least, a petite tassel with silver, blues, and yellows from The Tassel House at etsy.com.  Thank you again, Angela!



So pull up a chair this quiet winter's evening.



Enjoy a bowl of soup, some bread, and a glass (or two) of wine.  And for afterwards, a rich and creamy truffle, or some blue and white M&M's.


Enjoy your winter's evening and may you have sweet dreams of Spring.  It really is just around the corner.  Here are a few more pictures before you leave.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

Denise


The bird's eye view.













Table Runner -- Ebay last year
Hurricane Globe -- Pottery Barn
Place Mats -- Bed, Bath & Beyond
Scalloped dinner plates -- "Castle Ware" by Tabletops Lifestyles, at Home Goods last year
Salad plates and rimmed soup bowls -- "Finlandia" by Churchill
White tree tapers -- Gift from my Mom last winter
Crystal candlesticks -- Given to me many years ago
Snowball votive candles -- Dept. 56 from Salem Creek gift shop
Flatware -- "Tennyson" by Oneida
Wine Goblets -- Gift from a friend; don't know the maker
Crystal Bowl with Truffles -- Lead crystal made in Germany; bought at Christmas Tree Shoppes in Greensboro
Glass Candy Dish -- Won in a raffle

26 comments:

  1. VERY Wintry and seasonal! You did well. I hope you fall in love with blogging and stay around. I have so much fun doing it. I could use a better camera..but I manage.
    These tablescapes are fun..but I don't do them. I think I have only done one other and that was a long time ago. I might have done two..but not sure.
    The candle light is so romantic. Perfect month for that! Everything is beautiful!!
    :)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise!

    Saga here. Hal told me about your blog.

    I've got to say, girl, your Artist is showing!
    Lovely! Your tablescape is evocative of a snowy evening, but so warm and cozy at the same time!

    Syemetry, elegance and just the perfect touch of whimsey!

    I really love your china pattern!

    I look forward to seeing your next creation!

    Hugs,
    Saga

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're off to a beautiful beginning. The table is simply fabulous. Your photographer is a keeper too.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard!!! Always wonderful to have a new tablescape fan in the fold! I just started in September of 2010, so I'm relatively new, too. My husband and I entertain a LOT at home, so I have something to post every week. I hope to see frequent posts from you, too. You're off to a good start, and it's wonderful that your husband is on board with it! How sweet of him to be your photographer! I have to tell you...it was so neat to see someone else use the word "bobeche." It has been a part of my vocabulary for years, but getting my husband and kids to understand it was an adventure. Now they call everything they can't identify a bobeche. Silly! Anyhooooo....welcome aboard. I think you'll find this to be a friendly and helpful bunch! Here's wishing you and yours a Happy Valentine's Day! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you've joined us with this lovely winter tablescape. The blue and white mixed with the winter accents is so pretty. How fun that your husband has joined you with this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Tablescape Thursdays, Denise! What a lovely debut table -- it really evokes the icy beauty of a winter's day. I'm not sure, but I believe your stemware is "Claudia," and it was made in the Czech Republic. If you'd like to check and see, here's a link to the Claudia listing on Replacements.com: http://www.replacements.com/webquote/IMACLA.htm#3837889

    Your husband did a great job photographing your beautiful table. You know people are going to be asking what kind of camera he's using (just as people always want to know what kind of brush a talented artist uses). ;)

    Hope your weekend goes well.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a Tablescape Thursday debut! Your table is lovely, and your photographer is wonderful! Wish *I* had a photographer -- I definitely have a lot to learn! I really love your blue and white dishes, and they look wonderful with the special napkins and all your glass and crystal pieces. Lots of sparkle! Have fun tablescaping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, your table is just gorgeous! Oh, how I would love to dine there...the candlelight is so beautiful! Love your beautiful crystal and china. Thanks for sharing the info about it at the end of your post...so helpful for learning more about the elements of your table.
    I just love that you and your hubby are collaborating...how neat is that! You guys make a great team...your photos are wonderful! So glad you are participating in TT. You will meet the nicest people in Blogland via Tablescape Thursday.
    XO
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job Denise!
    I love the table runner, the blue and white plates and the candlesticks!
    Everything is so soft and glowing!
    A perfect winter table!
    Welcome to blogging too, you will love it!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just think your tablescape is fabulous! I also think you have the most wonderful "photographer" in the world. But I'm a little prejudice since I'm your Mom. Keep up the good work.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so very much Dennise for your visit and lovely comments. I came to one of your older posts to look for this dishes I saw posted in one of your thumbnails. I love this Eng. china, the runner is gorgeous and the center piece with the candle. Your dining room is gorgeous! the dishes my husband just gave me didn't come with a tea pot, so visiting my daughter I found it in a European store, where it has great furniture, dishes, etc. It matches so well, doesn't it?
    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your table! My local GW has a small set of dishes like your soup bowls. I keep looking at them but there's only 3 plates so I keep passing them by...now I'm rethinking that! LOL! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to look back on this, Denise! What a fantastic job you did on your very first post! I love those snowmen wine toppers. Aren't they cute? The runners are gorgeous and remind me of snowflakes.
    Congratulations on your blogging anniversary. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well aren't ou the lucky one to have your very own personal photographer? That's what I need! As much fun as this tablescaping is, it is also a lot of work and all help is greatly appreciated. I give my husbby the job of taste testing and buying flowers for the tables! Congratulations on two successful years! The party at Susan's was my first one, too. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Mothership....that's hilarious!!! I will admit, however, that I felt the exact same way when I came upon TT for the first time! It's kind of like everyone knowing where they were when they heard that Elvis died...you remember your first discovery of Tablescape Thursday! :-) So your runner came with the snowflakes already on it? I thought that was some creative touch you had added. That was great to find it already embellished like that! I think you hit the "January feeling" dead on by using colors that can be attributed to either snow & ice or the hope of spring...whichever floats your boat. Blue & white is that perfect transitional combination. January is such a goofy month for trying to put together something thematic unless, as you pointed out, there's a birthday in there somewhere. I had to start inventing reasons to celebrate just so I wouldn't go into withdrawal!!! I'm so glad to have made your acquaintance over the last couple of years, and if I can give you a giggle every once in awhile, then my work done for another day! Happy Anniversary, and I'm going to applaud you whether you like it or not! :-) Keep Calm and Keep On Tablescapin'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Denise, I wonder why this didn't show up in my reader???? I just had an urge to look at linkups to K's party and saw this?? It is beautiful. Happy 2nd blogaversary. Happy to have met you in Blogland and in person! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blue napkins and wonderful china in your tablescape! It was lovely to hear from you over at my blog, and here's to a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to revisit your very first tablescape! I still love your blue and white dishes. What's not to like about blue and white?? Many congrats on your two-year bloggerversary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a fantastic job for your first tablescape, Denise. I ♥ the bottle stoppers, they are adorable. Thanks for re-posting this beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Denise, I enjoyed reading the comments your original post where they are welcoming you! Now I want to look back at my first one that I did. How fun to look back! What a fantastic job you did on your very first post! The runners are gorgeous, and those wine toppers are so stinkin cute. Congratulations on your blogging anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulation my friend on your wonderful bloggy milestone! Your celebration table is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats my friend on your two year blogiversary and your first table is so pretty, with the pretty dishes in your also lovely dining room! Have a nice Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Denise: I've come both times from Seasonal Sundays. I forgot to mention in my comments about your entry how pretty and inviting it looks. Any guest would feel very welcomed coming through there. Your tablescape is really beautiful too. Very wintry and sparkly..Congratulations on your anniversary. I will be one year blogging the 8th of February..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful winter tablescape. I love your Blue and White Finlandia plates. Not sure if yours are the English Churshill, but have mugs in my Etsy shop with the Finlandia pattern. It was hard to think about parting with them! I really like that pattern. I love the snowmen wine bottle toppers! too cute! Can't wait to hear about the local winery!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for joining in at Let's Dish!
    Your runner is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer