Friday, August 15, 2014

Our Son's Birthday

I was just re-reading the post I wrote for Will's birthday last year, and I can't believe how quickly this year has passed by!  Earlier this week, we celebrated his 24th birthday.  Another year come and gone, and we're all a year older.  Sometimes, I wish I could slow the clock down!

I've never shared this in my blog before, but two years after hubby and I got married, I had a health issue that reduced, by half, my chances of getting pregnant.  But God was good to us, and very soon, we found out that we were expecting a baby.  It was a really smooth and easy pregnancy until about six months, and then I started having early labor -- our boy was anxious to be born.  :)  I was put on bed rest and medication, and the day after the doctor took me off the medication, our son was born.  He was small, only weighing 5 lbs. and 7 oz., but that wasn't considered low birth weight.  He had all of his fingers and toes, and everything was fully developed.  We were proud parents of a healthy baby, and I never imagined I could be so happy.



 Twenty-four years later, we're still proud parents.  We were never able to have any more children; we would have dearly loved a brother or sister for Will, but things happened the way they were meant to -- I feel certain of that.  :)

  The above picture was taken maybe a week after we came home from the hospital.  (Not the best picture of me)  See how small our boy was?  If you notice a somewhat familiar, shaggy black dog in the left of the picture, it's not Duncan.  That was Bonnie, our first Scottish Terrier; she wanted to be included in everything.  :)


Just a year later, on his one-year birthday, he was a bit plumper.  The pediatrician wanted to know if I was feeding him fertilizer.  ;)


Our young Cub Scout on his first scout trip to Washington D.C.


Fast forward about nine years to Philmont Scout Ranch, near Cimarron, New Mexico.  This is the summit of Old Baldy mountain, at 12,445 feet, it's the highest point in the Cimarron Mountain Range of New Mexico. Will, his dad, his fellow scouts, and three other adult leaders climbed to the top of Mount Baldy that day.


Will, holding the silver French Horn (and looking very serious)  :)  at his University Concert Band winter performance.



Sometimes we miss his presence at home or in the car at unexpected moments; but this is the way it should be.  Besides, he doesn't live too far away.  We gave him roots and wings, and he is glad to be independent.

Happy Birthday, Will, with much love from Mom and Dad.

Denise

9 comments:

  1. Happy B-Day Will! Have a piece of cake for me:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Will! Denise your son is a handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome young man!

    I wish him a very happy birthday.....sure can tell how much he is loved.

    I wish him good health and happiness and a long long life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Will! Yes, where do the years go?? I certainly enjoyed seeing all the pictures, Denise. I must add how small you looked after Will was born!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww....this is so sweet. I'm actually sniffling. I have only one son, and I had a difficult pregnancy, so I can totally relate! I understand what you mean about wanting to have a brother or sister for Will, but there's something very sweet and wonderful about having one child to heap all your love and attention on. My son has followed in my my footsteps and had only one child so that he can "spoil" her and allow for his undivided attention so far as parenting goes. There are pros and cons to having one or having a bunch, but for whatever God has blessed us with...we are thankful! Will has turned out to be quite a handsome young man with quite a bit of apparent smarts and talent! So you can rest easy knowing you've done good!!!

    Happy Birthday to your Will, and may his parents be richly blessed over and over for the love and time they put into his upbringing. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't the years just fly by? At the time, it seems that the two year old will never get past the "no" stage and then they are 12 and that stage returns. Then they are almost 40, as my oldest, but you still see that sweet little child. Happy Birthday to your sweet son. Does he read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh Happy Birthday to your sweet blessing of a boy. He's a handsome young man. It's good to be content with what God sends our way and what he holds back. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious post! Brings back so many wonderful memories of a sweet little boy. He has grown into a fine young man and we are so proud to be his grandparents. Enjoyed the picture of sweet little Bonnie too. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer