Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas at My In-Laws' House

I promise I do realize that Christmas is not all about the decorations.  My friend Dotsie, who blogs at Podso wrote about all the symbols and traditions of Christmas much better than I could have.  To a large degree, our decorations and traditions are tied to the meaning of that first Christmas.  Most of us have secular decorations tied in with our religious decorations, but it is all about remembering the birth of the Christ child.

Today I'm sharing some of my mother-in-law's Christmas decorations from last year; she does such a pretty job every year.



Everything looks so cheerful!


Do these stockings look familiar?  My mother-in-law, Diane, made these, just as she made the ones that hang at our fireplace.  They are such treasures.


This cute Santa smoker came from one of their trips to Germany.



More nutcrackers and smokers...


...and a jaunty snowman in the kitchen.  :)



A wax angel from Germany on the buffet.


Diane has been making fruit cakes (really delicious) to give to family members for years.


Angels on the piano.



The living room mantel.  I think my stag is just like Diane's, though I didn't know that when I bought it.  Hers show up so well on the white mantel; I do miss my white mantel at Christmas time.


Isn't this beautiful with the ribbon, candles, and garland?











Uh-oh...a photobomber.  :)

We're expecting a rainy day tomorrow, so it should be a good day to get things done inside.  What do you have planned for the weekend?  Have you finished decking the halls?  Thanks for stopping by; I hope you have a great weekend!

I'll be sharing this post at Seasonal Sundays, hosted by The Tablescaper and Metamorphosis Monday, hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.  Thank you Alma and Susan for hosting!!

Denise

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your mother-in-law's decorations. They so remind me of a lot of ours...the smokers, nutcrackers and other German ornaments, we collected in Germany, too. Our wax angel is really showing her age now. :) Hope you're having a great weekend,
    xo Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so cheerful and festive Denise! I love the smoker and nutcrackers! Speaking of festive... It's snowing here again, hope you have a great weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nutcrackers and the smoker! I'm happy I have them from Germany too! Your Mil's house looks gorgeous and this reminds me of my dear Mil too, she's gone now but was great on C'mas too! Keep warm and enjoy the Winter, what can I say....I miss it, lol!!!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer