Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Dog's Plea

I wanted to say thank you, dear friends, for all the sweet comments you left for me when MacDuff passed away earlier this week.  It means a lot to me.  People who have pets will always understand how it feels to lose a beloved companion.

Our veterinarian had a poem framed and sitting on a table in the room where we waited to say goodbye to our MacDuff.  I had never seen this, and I thought it was so perfect, I wanted to share it with you.

A Dog's Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
 
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I would lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements.  I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going.  I am not having any fun.  Please see that my trusting life is taken gently.  I shall leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown


Thank you for your visit, and I hope you enjoy your weekend.


Denise

8 comments:

  1. Denise..
    I am so very sorry I missed the post and didnt know of your grief.
    I have lost a few furry beloved friends and my words cant really ease your pain.
    please know I 'm thinking of you..
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, your precious MacDuff was a great blessing to your family. I am sorry that his time with you has ended. Like you, I believe you will see him again one day. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sadden to hear that your beloved pet went to the Rainbow Gate. I am crying as I write this as I have always loved all my dogs and cats. Yes, they are in a better place, no hurting anymore, but we still miss them so, as they were part of our family.
    Time heals Denise and the best way we can honor our pets to to rescue another one and give them a warm loving home with lots of love.
    The poem that the vet gave you is truly beautiful
    Thinking of you dear one - it does get easier.
    Always
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry, Denise. I guess I missed that post. What a nice poem. When we said goodbye to our dog a few years back I was amazed at the tenderness of the staff at the Vet's. They know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved McDuff…pets are truly family members and it is so hard when one is lost…I am sure McDuff loved his life under the love and care of great "parents"…..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am saddened to hear of the passing of your much loved McDuff. I know the pain of the grief for a beloved companion. I think of my wonderful family of pets that I have lost over the last 60 years or so, and I remember them with tremendous fondness. They can never be replaced but there is always room to love another when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Denise, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss and sadness. Our dog died a few years ago and it was really hard on all of us. Wow, that poem was a real tear jerker! Yes, we got a new puppy in August, and so happy we did. She is the same breed as our last dog, as we love their gentle nature so much. Take care, Denise. xo

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer