Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Replacements, Ltd., Part II

Back in December, before Christmas, Mr. Forest Manor and I took a little trip to Replacements, Ltd., which is about an hour from our house.  It was decorated beautifully for Christmas; we saw some spectacular Christmas tablescapes.  If you'd like to see those, you can read the post HERE.

We took a lot of pictures that day; the showroom at Replacements, Ltd. is fairly large, and it is positively loaded with all kinds of china, crystal, sterling and silverplate, as well as Christmas ornaments, Toby Jugs, and other collectibles.  In my December post, I just focused on the Christmas dishes and decor to go along with the season, but I wanted to show you some of the other things there are to see at this amazing store.

This first section I'm showing is their museum exhibit.  All these items are for display only; nothing for sale.  These items had no price tags -- maybe because they're priceless?  Anyway, here we go.

This is a collection of the "Rothschild Bird" dishes by Herend.  Again, these particular pieces are not for sale, but I believe you can buy some of the dishes in the "Rothschild Bird" pattern through Replacements, e-bay, etc.  They are quite expensive.  Susan at Between Naps on the Porch did a post about this pattern last year.  She has some of the salad plates, and they really are lovely.







I love the way they've created this display of the bird in a tree with a necklace to go along with the china.





Here are a few cases containing sterling coffee and tea sets.



And below, you see sterling flatware, candlesticks, and other miscellaneous pieces.


This is a case of Haviland china, including Haviland "Limoges".



The set below is called "Summer Glory" by Shelley-England.  I love the soft pink background. Those flowers look like lilacs to me -- so delicate looking.

I loved this George Washington Portrait Plate.  I'm assuming that must be Martha on the plate to the left of him.


These Royal Worcester plates depict famous cathedrals in England.





The writing on the inner rim of this plate reads "Queen Elizabeth at Old Moreton 1589".


The placard on the right of this shelf is hard to read; I had to use the zoom feature on Picasa to be able to read it.  I thought it was interesting; it explained about the provenance of these dishes. They're called Royal Doulton Series Ware, and the card reads:  "Starting with a line of tableware featuring images of the Eglinton Tournament(?), Royal Doulton began producing their popular series ware with scenes from literary, historical and everyday British life.  The Dickens series ware was probably the most popular of these.  Featured here are a variety of "Coaching Days", "Queen Elizabeth at Old Moreton Hall", "Under The Greenwood Tree", and Historic England series ware pieces."

Anybody recognize the scene depicted on the plates below?  It's Robin Hood and his Band of Merry Men -- the pattern is "Under The Greenwood Tree", c.1909.



This is the fun part where you get to look at the cases and see if your china, crystal, or flatware patterns are on display.


Does anyone recognize their crystal or flatware in here?  It's hard to tell anything about the flatware because we didn't get a really close-up picture.



Here's my crystal pattern below on the left, "French Cathedral" by Gorham.  I bet yours is somewhere in here too. ;-)




Here are some pretty Spode patterns.  I like the "Herring Hunt".


On the top row in this picture below, I see two of my Johnson Brothers patterns; "His Majesty" and "Old Britain Castles-Pink".  To the right of the "His Majesty" pattern, is my Mom's blue and white pattern, "Indies-Blue"  I also spotted my Mother-in-Law's "Runnymede-Blue" Wedgwood pattern.


Third from the right, top row, is my Royal Doulton "Juliet".


My husband's grandmother had a huge set of the "Blue Danube" with lots of pretty serving pieces.  It's a beautiful pattern.  The pattern beside it called "Grenadiers" by Bernardaud is one of my favorite Christmas patterns, but definitely out of my price range.


So, did you spot your dishes in there anywhere?  It's fun to look, huh?  Next are some beautiful Belleek pieces.



Purely whimsical...we love Charlie Brown and friends at our house.


Miniature teaset atop a bright pink hat box...


I really LOVE this Cameo pitcher and bowl set made by Minton China. I think the cameo and the garland with bows is so elegant.
  


Well, that's it for our tour.  I hope you saw some things that caught your fancy.  It's fun to look, but we don't buy here often because most of the things are too pricey for us.  I have, however, found some pieces for my patterns that I wasn't able to find elsewhere.  If you're ever in the area and you get a chance to stop at Replacements, Ltd., it's definitely worth a visit.

Thank you for your visit and have a great day!  I'm joining the following people this week:

                                Pink Saturday, hosted by Beverly at How Sweet The Sound


Denise

51 comments:

  1. Hi Denise, I would love to take a tour of Replacements. I looked and looked but didn't see my Lenox pattern (Flirtation) or the Spode Christmas Tree. Oh well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,

      Those pictures didn't show all the china patterns they had in that particular case. I can almost guarantee that your Spode "Christmas Tree" would have been in there somewhere; that one is so popular. I'm pretty sure they had a display of it over on the Christmas tables; it might be in my earlier post. Also, Lenox is such a classic brand, I bet your "Flirtation" was in that case somewhere, too. :) Thanks for the visit.

      XO,
      Denise

      Delete
  2. Wow! this is like dishaholic's paradise. Thanks for sharing these amazingly beautiful pictures with us. Have a great week~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEVER would have imagined that Replacements Ltd. looked like this. I just thought it was some big warehouse. NEVER imagined they had a beautiful showroom that is open to the public like this with everything displayed in nice wooden cases!!! Whoever initially dreamed this up was a genius! Geez...what a fun way to spend a day! I would go nuts in here trying to buy everything in sight...especially that "Rothschild Bird" pattern that isn't for sale!!! Security! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we were walking around that day, I was thinking that this place MUST be insured to the hilt, ya know? That building contains a fortune in china, silver and crystal. And you're right, the owner is a genius for starting this business.

      Denise

      Delete
  4. Oh , I would have fun there, just looking though. They are really pricey!
    I did see my Lenox Eternal Christmas china. If they would pay me what they are charging, I would sell them mine and go on a great vacation! :)
    that was fun, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Kathleen; they're VERY pricey. I'm glad you saw your Lenox china! :)

      Denise

      Delete
  5. Love this post! I had no idea Replacements was a place you could visit! Tablescape heaven is what this is for those of us with a dish obsession. Love the Rothchild Bird plates. Priceless indeed. Thank you so much for sharing. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it CJ! It is tablescape heaven, or more like obsession. :)

      Denise

      Delete
  6. Oh, this looks like Heaven to me! I really want to visit Replacements sometime! I did spot my mother's Ma Lin and my Windsong china in your photos. Do you have the book titled DISH? I got it for Christmas, and it features the top 100 china patterns from Replacements -- along with loads of others. I love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, Denise! Thank you so much for sharing this, I was ni dish heaven for a while. I want to go there, I will have to add it to my To Do List. This is a major "drool" post!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, you must have been in tablescaping heaven touring that place...I would need someone following me around to mop up the drool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhh....so lucky!!! I have been to their website many times, but never even thought about actually going there:)LOVE the silver and Limoges. Thanks for visiting!! Blessings~~Shine..PS....I'll be your newest follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be like a kid in a candy store! My mother, sister, and I want to roadtrip here. We talked recently about including it on a roadtrip to D.C.

    Of course, you don't go through Greensboro (or near it) on our way to D.C., but we are determined to make a way.

    It looks wonderful, and I didn't see my patterns. Hrmph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this tour.. I was there twice, while my job involved traveling.. It was nice to see it all again. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I see my mother's rooster plate there. They have to be at least 60 years old. I found one small saucer at an antique store and I bought it just because of all the wonderful memories, but here I see a wonderful rooster plate. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm expecting a couple of boxes from Replacements to arrive within the next few days. This is my kind of destination vacation spot! Thanks for taking us along! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of others visiting this amazing place -I would be in heaven and in awe! Such a variety of patterns - so beautiful! thank you so much for taking us along with you and for sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just discovered your blog from Susan and Tablescape Thursday! I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! I always wanted to do this but it is far away for me and this did it for me. I have some of the Herend pieces you have shown and that is what drew my eye to your blog. Thank you, Thank you for sharing...This is a must see for any dishaholic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the post caught your eye -- those Herend pieces really are amazing. It is an awesome store to visit; I'm happy to share it with lots of other dish lovers. :)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful collection!

    Pink Bathroom, have a great weekend!

    PS. I am now your follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous store. I think they are online, too. I know I have gone to site with the same name looking for some of my pieces of china.
    HPS!
    Jil ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Herend pieces and what a beautiful collection you have now. Thank you for the tour, now that I call living in heaven! Have a nice weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I couldn't help it, I went again to drool over this post you shared. I'm so glad I'm so far away from that store because I might have a heart attack or something of the sort from been there, lol! Thanks again, it's gorgeous to see all this eye candy.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  20. How wonderful that you are close enough to go visit! I'd die of joy! Talk about eye candy! I love Royal Doulton series ware. So much fun!
    Cheers!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing place. I have never been, but would love too...I am a crazy collector of dishes. Thanks for sharing, wonderful tour. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Pink Saturday! It was the tea set that caught my eye. I've been by teapots, mugs, tea cups & saucers, baby boots, jazzed up jars and now an eyeful of amazing display cases and items on display. I actually think I caught a glimpse of a pink depression type glass my mom had at one time. Is this the place that lets the pets of the employees in? And, speaking of, MacDuff is adorable. Did he bark as I passed him on the sidebar, wanting a bit of attention? I might could spring for the mini tea set. Love your pattern and, was it your mother or grandmother's? Mine? I probably had a plate or two of some that might be in there . . . long gone now. :( Enjoyed the wows! Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, my Lord! I would have thought I had died and gone to dish heaven to have been able to tour this place! Look at all of the most wonderful dishes. Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH MY GOLLY!!!!!!

    I, um, just drooled allllll over my keyboard.

    What a post! Whew!

    I bet you were in there for hours! What beauty! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun, Denise! What is it with dishes?...I just love them. I would be in heaven touring that place. Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, Denise! I have seen it along the interstate but could not stop. You could spend all day there. You know the amazing thing is that I don't know of any competition for them.

    Thank you for sharing and allowing us to share highlights of your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Denise~ I enjoyed part two of your tour! I grew up 30 minutes from Greensboro and can't believe I've never been. Their inventory boggles the mind! I would love to visit next December to see all their Christmas finery!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a good thing I don't live anywhere near Replacements!!! I wouldn't know where to start! Such beautiful things and my pocketbook wouldn't live through the experience!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OK, that's it...when I retire I am going to talk my hubby into moving and will see about getting a part time job at Replacements so I can take it all in. LOL I would be overwhelmed if I visited! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Denise, you should have warn me to take something for heart palpitations before I viewed this post! Wow! I'm speechless. It's like Mecca for china. Truly an amazing place. I never even realized they had a "museum" section. I guess that makes sense...their buyers must come across some things that are just too rare to sell. I'm glad they are preserving the rarer pieces for all to see. I so enjoyed seeing all the Herend Rothschild Bird...amazing! My fave in the Rothschild Bird with the green border. It's a good bit more expensive than the regular Rothschild Bird and impossible to find on eBay. Thanks so much for taking us along...this was truly, truly a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this Susan. Those Rothschild Bird serving pieces are amazing!! The two matching urns with handles and lids are so elegant. Well, the owner has got a real gold mine in this place. We're thinking about getting some champagne flutes for our crystal pattern, and I'll probably get them there because they're more likely to have them than anywhere else.

      Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  31. What a neat place to go to see beautiful things! A true dish lovers paradise!! I have heard about them but never thought they might have a gorgeous showroom like this. Thanks for sharing
    !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I never knew they had a museum portion. I so enjoyed your Christmas post and this addition is so wonderful. I think, one of these days, I've got to get there.

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so glad you enjoyed both of the posts! I hope you can visit in person sometime. I enjoy participating in Seasonal Sundays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG! This is like a dish lovers dream place! Oh, I would love to visit this museum. thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, it would be so much fun to have a leisurely visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rothschild Bird is my absolute favorite. It is the china I dream of owning one day when I win the lotto. I will settle for 2 dinner plates to hand on the wall so that I may admire them...I live about 45 minutes from Replacements too (Chapel Hill)..what a fabulous place!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, Shirley. It is a fabulous place.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Seasonal Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Denise, I have been to Replacements three times and it is a fabulous place to shop. The last time we were there was just after Christmas and the tables were so beautiful with the different Christmas china on display. I was fortunate to acquire a demitasse set with the coffee pot, creamer, sugar and two demitasse cups and saucers in Shelley in the pattern "Cottage". The part I enjoy is seeing the unusal pieces they have for sale but are not on their website. The museum is wonderful and the display cabinets are so elegant. You didn't mention the tour they have of the warehouse and shipping department, etc. We have a great discontinued china store in Ft. Worth, Texas named Dishes from the Past. The part I love is they will let you look at their china and crystal and bring items down for you to really touch. If you are close to Ft. Worth it is a great place to shop with a wonderful owner and staff. Happy Tablescaping! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful post! I love Belleek and find it hard to find locally. I saw my Pembroke china pattern in your photos. I've heard of "Replacements" online but I never knew thye had brick and motor stores!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This place looks fabulous!I love looking at china and crystalware. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've enjoyed perusing your blog via Post of the Month Club at Happy Homemaker.

    I'm a fellow Southerner and love fine china, so I've enjoyed your tablescapes and this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, it looks like they have it all! I was at Windsor Castle yesterday and saw some of their china on display. You would have LOVED it.

    Thank you for linking to Post Of The Month Club - it is great to have you there! Have a great weekend! XOLaura

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer