Saturday, December 9, 2017

A Chocolate Pie Recipe

Hi folks!  Boy have we had some snow!  It sure has been pretty.  We just had a power blink, though, and I hope we don't have any more of those.

A few weeks ago, I shared a picture of the pie and the deviled eggs I made to take to Thanksgiving lunch at my in-laws' house.


I posted the recipe for the deviled eggs a few days later, with a promise to share the recipe for the chocolate pie.  I found the chocolate pie recipe Here.  The recipe is called "Minny's Chocolate Pie," and it's from the movie, "The Help."  Don't think about the yucky part -- this pie only has good things in it.  ;)  According to Food & Wine Magazine, "Newspaper columnist, Lee Ann Flemming, one of the best bakers in Greenwood, Mississippi, (where the movie was filmed) baked 53 chocolate pies during filming."

I first tried this pie earlier this year; I took it to my in-laws' house, and there wasn't a single piece left.  It was still warm when I took it, and it was so good.  This is really a good, fudgy pie, and Hal and I love it.  It has a really nice depth of chocolate flavor; it's rich without being too sweetie-sweet.  Here's the recipe for you, and you can also find it on the link for Food & Wine Magazine.

  • 1 packaged pie crust dough, such as Pillsbury.  I used the Pillsbury, but you can certainly make your crust from scratch.
  • 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Whipped cream for garnish
Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350°.  Ease your pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges decoratively.  Prick the pie crust lightly with a fork.  Line the crust with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.  Bake for 15 minutes or until set.  Remove the foil and weights and bake for about five minutes longer, just until the crust is dry by not browned.  

Step 2
 Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, butter, eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth. 





Step 3
Pour the filling into the pie shell,


  and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the filling is set around the edges but a little jiggly in the center.  Cover the crust with strips of foil halfway through baking to prevent over-browning. Transfer the pie to a rack and cool completely before cutting into wedges.  Serve with whipped cream.  Refrigerate leftovers.  
 

This really is a delicious pie, folks.  Let me know if you try it, and I hope you enjoy!

Thank you so much for your visit; have a lovely weekend and stay warm.  I'm sharing this recipe at Between Naps on the Porch for "Metamorphosis Monday."

Hugs,

Denise 

2 comments:

  1. Okay! I’m gonna have to give it a try because it isn’t cooked on the stovetop. I hate that step. This sounds delicious and looks easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this one sounds really good, too! I loved the book and the movie of The Help!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer