Monday, March 2, 2015

Downton Abbey Season Five

***SPOILER ALERT***

Did you watch Downton Abbey Sunday night?  I thought for a few several minutes last night that we were going to miss the season finale.  Our picture and sound kept blinking off -- I mean like every 30 to 60 seconds.  My first thought was that I hope it's not time to purchase a new TV; my second thought was that it could not have picked a worse time to go on the blink.  Hubby finally turned the DVR off and then back on, and that fixed the problem.  The TV problem, that is.  There is really no way to turn the barking dog off -- seriously, no matter how many times we pointed the remote at him, he just wouldn't turn off.  ;)  We did manage to get the gist of the show, though; thank goodness for the "Pause" feature on DVR.

 source

What a splendid castle to stay in for the hunting trip!  Wow!  This castle is actually Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, and you can read about it Here and Here.  After Windsor Castle, it is the second largest inhabited castle in England.  Alnwick Castle has been used as the site for filming several television shows and movies, such as the Harry Potter movies, where it served as Hogwarts School.

  source

I seem to recall thinking that Season 5 got off to a slow start, but I have to say that the last two episodes were probably my two favorite episodes ever -- loved them!  Once they got rid of the dreadful Miss Bunting, it turned out to be quite a good season, I thought.

     source

I love the way this situation was resolved.  I loved how Robert kept looking and looking at Marigold.  I wanted to cheer when he said to Cora, "Now I know who Marigold reminds me of; she reminds me of Richard Gregson."  And we think men never pay attention to anything.  ;)

   source

Such cuties are Sybbie and George, and I love that Sybbie calls Robert "Donk."

 source

I thought this situation was handled in a very thoughtful and loving manner.

source
 
source

Mr. Barrow.  The man we all love to hate.  After the way he got some folks sorted (as the Brits like to say) in the last two episodes, I'm thinking, "Long may he reign."  :-D  It was especially good to see Lord Sinderby get taken down a peg or two.  After all his uppity ways and the self-righteous rubbish he spouted about divorce, he has an illegitimate son by his mistress???!!!  Well done, Thomas, well done.

source

I felt that Rose really grew up this season, and I like the way she turned out.  I thought it was great the way she committed to serving in the soup kitchen for the displaced Russians in Downton, and we saw a different side of her then.  A few seasons ago, she just seemed like a scatterbrained girl who only thought about dancing and flirting.  The men she got involved with were chosen, it would seem, just to make her mother angry.  I think Atticus is perfect for her, young and kind and upbeat like her.

 source

I never thought of Mary having such a lovely singing voice, but her rendition of "Silent Night" was so pretty.  I had never heard the song sung with those words before, so I wondered if that was an English version of the beloved Christmas carol.  Does anyone know?

 source

"Mr. Carson, I can assure you the very last thing I am at this moment is offended."  Wasn't this the best?!

source

source

It certainly looks like Season 6 may be the last one, since Sir Julian Fellowes is leaving to work on a show in the U.S.  I, for one, will miss this show, and I'm glad I've had the chance to watch it.  What were your favorite parts of Season 5?  Did you enjoy the season finale?

Denise 

8 comments:

  1. LOVED the season finale and am in complete agreement with your post.

    Yes, you can see there will only be one more season, and I certainly hope they end it after JF quits writing for it. He's been spectacular, and one can certainly see his devotion to quality.

    Of course, my favorite, Tom Branson will be sorely missed if he, indeed goes to Boston - oh yeah, just in time for Prohibition and The Great Depression. (That's depressing!)

    If you have see The Imitation Game both the young man who plays Tom Branson and the new "hunter" who has piqued Mary Crawley's interest - tall, dark and handsome are both in that movie! And of course Rose and Daisy are in the new Cinderella not out yet. Neat "teams" of DA folks are doing things together.

    I savor every one and one and have ordered season 5. I watch them over and over.

    I think my favorite parts is how Mrs. Crawley and the Dowager have become such good friends - their laughing together is precious, indeed. And, well, Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson, just made me cry and cry!

    I hate for it to end.

    Now, I do hope you go out and get yourself a nice new flat screen so you are ready for next year's season!

    : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this show. It will be sad to see it end but I do think Season 6 will be the last. Glad you got your glitch fixed so you could see the show...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was not my favorite season and not sure why. The scenes jumped around so quickly. I think I need to watch the finale again. It will be interesting to see what Sir Fellowes works on in our country. At least we won't have to wait 6 month to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ending for the season ender! It's going to be a long wait for Season 6...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, we will have to wait until January to see the last? season. I love that show and Sunday nights won't be the same except Mr. Selfridge returns and I love that show too. Wasn't that the most beautiful Christmas tree? And it looks like there may be some new love interests blooming on season 6. Have you seen that Rose will be playing Cinderella in a movie coming out soon She is so cute...Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Denise, the last episode was my favorite EVER! I loved all the happy endings and the hints of new beginnings. I was just crying at the end with Ms. Hughes and Mr. Carson. Wasn't that the dearest, sweetest proposal? The cast of that show is impeccable. I so looked forward to Sunday evening to watch my favorite show. Now we need to wait another year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post -- I agree. What I really want to know: where in the heck was George Clooney??? There was all this publicity when the season was first starting that said he made a cameo appearance in the Christmas scenes. If he was there, I couldn't find him. It is going to be a long wait for the last season. Too long. I wonder if there is any way to get hold of the British feed and see it early? I am not sure it was your TV -- I was having the very same issues, but they seem to have resolved as the show went on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I loved your review as well! It is interesting that, for the most part, we focused on the same things. I think, if the actors could manage it, the story itself has all the potential for moving on into the future. The Crawleys will always be fascinating! I also noticed the difference in wording and wondered.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog Designer