Sunday, March 24, 2013

First Sewing Project

Hello folks; I hope this day finds all of you well and warm.  It's quite chilly here today with a cold rain to make things even more uncomfortable.  I'm very thankful it's just rain and not snow or ice (yet).  It's 36 degrees right now, and we do have a forecast for possible snow this week.

This is not one of those pretty posts with lots of nice pictures, but I just had to share this.  I've completed my first sewing project!  I never learned to sew in high school, as I was taking college preparatory classes, and Home Economics wasn't one of those classes.  I can't tell you how many times over the years I've wished I had taken Home-Ec.  Several years ago I took an evening cooking class at our local community college.  Our teacher was an older lady who had majored in Home-Ec at High Point College, and she had been teaching cooking and sewing classes for years at the community college.  She and her husband also had a greenhouse and a large garden, and they sold plants and produce at the Farmer's Market in the summer.


After the cooking class was completed, a small group of us took a class on herbs from this same teacher in her home.  I enjoyed it all immensely.  Now I already knew how to cook when I took the cooking class; I've enjoyed cooking since I was in college.  But I think it's fun to take cooking classes because you can always learn something new.

Sewing, on the other hand, has always intimidated me.  My maternal grandmother loved to sew, and she was a good seamstress.  My grandmother's sister was an amazing seamstress, who made her daughter's wedding gown, and it was just gorgeous.  My mother knows how to sew, and she sewed some when we were growing up, but it wasn't her first love.  She worked full-time outside the home for years, and she preferred embroidery, crocheting, and ceramics to sewing.  My mother-in-law likes to sew, and she has made many beautiful curtains over the years, as well as some clothes and Halloween costumes for her grandchildren.

The extent of my sewing skills has always been limited to sewing on buttons, some hemming, repairing seams, etc.  Our son was a Boy Scout for nine years, eventually earning his Eagle Scout rank, and I sewed on a lot of rank and merit badges (by hand) to his uniform over the years.  Those patches were a bit of a pain; they were so stiff it was like sewing through cardboard, but I was proud that I could do it for our son.

When I started my blog, I was really all about the tablescaping, and I still love it.  But I've seen so many wonderful sewing projects done by all of you talented bloggers out there, it really made me sorry I hadn't learned to sew.  I decided it wasn't too late to give it a try.  So Mr. Forest Manor ( a real Renaissance Man) and I decided to take a sewing class together.  That's right -- he wants to learn some upholstery skills that he can use on the interior of his sports car, and I want to make pretty throw cushions and other nifty, crafty things.  We've taken classes together before (astronomy, photography, photo editing), so now we're learning to sew.

Here's my first big project; I can't believe I'm posting this, but I'm not proud.  :)  Here goes...


It's a corn hole bag for our son's corn hole game.  That's right.  I'll pause for a minute while you finish laughing.  Finished?  Okay; anyhoo, our son wanted to make a corn hole game instead of buying one, in order to save a few bucks.  He made the boards at home back in the summer, and his roommate, who's an art major, is helping him stencil and paint them.  He found directions online for making your own corn hole bags and was going to get my mother-in-law to help him.  

But she was out of town when he bought the fabric, and we had just gotten our sewing machine, so my husband said we'd figure out how to make them.  By the way, the dark spot at the bottom is a shadow (probably my head).  Sigh.  Here's the other picture...


It's sitting on top of the fabric for the next corn hole bag.  I realize that the stitching on the final side is not the neatest or the straightest.  But my hubby said it's not for decorating or anything; people are going to be throwing it at a board with a hole in it.  But the main thing is, I made it and the machine didn't bite me, and I didn't sew my fingers together or anything.  And be honest -- if you really use your imagination, don't you think it looks a little bit like a very small throw cushion?  Me too.  :)

I purchased some special fabric on e-Bay this weekend that I'm really excited about.  I'll show it to you when it arrives.  In the meantime, I'll be doing a lot more practicing on the sewing machine before I use that fabric for throw cushions, table runners, etc.  As for corn hole bags...out of the question.

Thanks for visiting me; I appreciate your sweet comments on my last post.  I'm still all stuffed up with a head cold, but so is practically everyone I know.  I hope you all have a good week and a blessed Easter.

Denise    

8 comments:

  1. Cool! You'll find sewing isn't so hard, have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your sewing project is neat but greater still that your husband wants to take a class with you. That will be fun. The new computer sewing machines are fabulous. They embroider wonderfully. I don't have one though and can't think of the last thing I used my machine for. It may be curtains nearly 10 years ago. No, I just remembered making a Christmas tree skirt but that has been a while too.

    Can't wait to see your next project.

    Thanks for your encouraging comments. You are such a good friend. Hope you get over your cold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to take sewing lessons, I learned in jr. high, and actually won the Home Economics medal when I graduated. Then on to high school and like you, college prep courses and forgot. I took lessons from a woman who came to my house but it got too expensive and she wanted lunch and snacks, too! I need to look into it although I no longer have a sewing machine, but I think I would benefit by a new one anyway. Good luck on your new sewing adventure! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very practical and good way to get started! I'm so impressed with both your and your husband's eagerness to learn something new. Can't wait to see all that you'll do with your new skills. Feel better now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beginning! It has to start somewhere and this was something needed, so a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea for you, Denise! I'm sure your son is thrilled with his corn hole bag. I look forward to seeing more projects from you and your Renaissance Man. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am proud of you for trying. I'm sure you will do well with your projects. Way to go for my son-in-law too. He is a real sport. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. I ENJOY READING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...